Re: umount: discrepancy between manpage and program

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Karel Zak wrote:
>  Well, I'd like kill all current userspace specific mount options and
>  then remove /etc/mtab from Linux. We need to maintain all information
>  about mounted devices in /proc/self/mountinfo only. The /etc/mtab is
>  horrible legacy...
>
>  My dream is a generic mount(2) option string (e.g. "usernote=<string>")
>  that will be ignored by Linux kernel, but always presented in
>  /proc/self/mountinfo. This option we can use for userspace specific
>  information rather than mtab.
>
>  Miklos, any comment?

Should be doable, but not with the current mount(2) API, which still
allows the "data" argument to be a binary blob.

But anyway, the mount syscall needs to be deprecated in favor of some
new syscalls, each of which does a specific action (mount, change,
bind/move) and doesn't suffer from the problems of the current
interface, e.g. running out of MS_* flags.

Thanks,
Miklos