Re: umount: discrepancy between manpage and program

Karel Zak schrieb am Monday, 15. June 2009 um 17:10:31 +0200:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 03:45:06PM +0200, Joerg Friedrich wrote:
> > Package: mount
> > Version: 2.15.1~rc1-1
> > Severity: normal
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > The umount-manpage states:
> >
> > NOTES
> >        The syntax of external umount helpers is:
> >
> >        /sbin/umount.<suffix> [-nlfvr] dir | device
> >
> >        where the <suffix> is filesystem type or a value from "uhelper=" mtab
> >        option.
> >
> >        The uhelper (unprivileged umount helper) is possible to used when
>
>  Ah, should be:
>
>          The "uhelper=" mtab option is possible to used when ...
>
> >        non-root user wants to umount a mountpoint which is not defined in the
> >        /etc/fstab file (e.g devices mounted by HAL).
> >
> > But the uhelper is only called when the uhelper= option is present and
> > not based on filesystem type. A feature which would be really great
>
>  mount(8) calls /sbin/umount.<suffix>, see check_special_umountprog()
>  in umount_one().

I see, I still need to be root if the filesystem is not in fstab.

>  The uhelper= is only for unprivileged users when there is not a
>  proper entry in the /etc/fstab file. This is typical for removable
>  media which was mounted by HAL.
>
> > because I could umount usermounted filesytems like ltspfs (www.ltsp.org,
> > fuse based) with umount.
>
>  You need to add "user" option to your /etc/fstab.

I cannot do this, because the mountpoints are always different.
Situation with ltsp is this:

The user works on a thinclient. if he plugs in an usb stick, the stick
is mounted on the client and the mount is 'forwarded' to the server.
there its mounted under /media/<username>/usbdisk-sdaX by ltspfs
(fuse-based).

it's possible to unmount the stick on the server with fusermount -u,
but most users like to umount by mouse :-)
in Gnome there is a hardcoded umount command. I still need to
investigate what kde is doing :-)

I think I found another solution: get libfuse to add the "uhelper="
option.