Re: New scriptreplay is out-of-sync (longish)

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Micah Cowan <micah@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone authoritative have a comment on this? I'm happy with either
> solution, and will gladly write the code; I just need to know which one
> you want fixed: script or scriptreplay.

It's the nature of collaborative open-source projects that there are
many comments, but few authoritative :)   This mailing list is
precisely the forum in which people have the option to say "please
don't 'fix' script.c, I'm actually relying on its allegedly broken
current behaviour".   I haven't heard anybody say that yet.

I propose

1. We should fix script.c and document the previous and current
situation in the manpage
2. Anybody objecting to the proposal can object now to prevent this

If after a reasonable time, nobody objects to this plan, then we have
a mandate to proceed.

(My personal preferences in order are [1] fix script.c, [2] add a new
timing file format that includes both time deltas and data, with
accompanying new option to script, [3] break scriptreplay.c for better
compatibility with the broken script.c.   My proposal is
unsurprisingly also my first personal preference.)

James.