Re: nls/locale handling in util-linux general

On Monday 03 September 2007, Karel Zak wrote:
>  Hi Mike,
>
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 11:08:21AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > looks to me like all of the locale handling should be localized to the
> > include/nls.h file right ?  and that a few things havent been converted
> > to that ?  it also looks like in the ENABLE_NLS path, no one really
> > explicitly pulls in locale.h, yet in the !ENABLE_NLS path, locale.h gets
> > pulled in !?  in other words, util-linux wont build anymore on a real
> > system that completely lacks locale/nls support ... this about right ?
> > this patch should fix that
>
>  Deja vu :-) See:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.utilities.util-linux-ng/590/focus=592
>
>  I agree that we need a better support for compilation without
>  locales, but from my point of view NLS != all locales stuff. The NLS
>  support is subset only.

generally, yes ... i18n and l10n are different/sep topics, but is there any
real need to differentiate them in util-linux ?  i'm not terribly familiar
with some of the tools, but are there any that really care about things like
wide character inputs and such ?  or is it all for localization ?

> > Move all locale/nls related includes to nls.h and make sure they are only
> > pulled in when ENABLE_NLS.  When !ENABLE_NLS, don't include any
> > locale/nls related headers and stub out setlocale() as well.
>
>  Maybe we can add --disable-locales and --disable-nls option will be
>  subset of --disable-locales.
>
>  BTW, is there any real life example for this change?

sure, build it under uClibc or any other libc where you can sanely disable all
i18n/l10n cruft
-mike