Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux-ng 2.13-rc1

[Cc pruned]

On 6 Jul 2007, Bryan Henderson uttered the following:
>>> Configuring the build of an autotools program is harder than
> nescensary;
>>> if it used a config file, you could easily save it somewhere while
> adding
>>> comments on how and why you did *that* choice, and you could possibly
>>> use a set of default configs which you'd just include.
>>
>>history shows this is a pita to maintain.  every package has its own
> build
>>system and configuration file ...
>
> It's my understanding that autotools _does_ provide that ability (as
> stated, though I think "config file" may have been meant here as
> "config.make").  The config file is a shell script that contains a
> 'configure' command with a pile of options on it, and as many comments as
> you want, to tailor the build to your requirements.

You may be thinking of config.site, which is a shell script *fragment*
sourced by configure which can change *variables internal to configure
itself*. You can do a *lot* more with it than just set configure flags
(and in fact per-project-variable configure flags are best set on a
per-project basis by whatever calls autoconf).

(I don't know of a config.make file, and the autoconf manual doesn't
mention it.)
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe util-linux-ng" in