ALASKA-NEWS-RELEASE: Forest Service hosts Fireside Lecture at Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center

Forest Service hosts Fireside Lecture at Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center

Juneau, Alaska, Jan 3, 2017–The Forest Service’s 55 annual Fireside Lecture series begins on Friday, January 6 at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. Juneau adventurer Iris Neary describes her climb in April, 2016 to the summit of Denali. Presentations will occur at 6:30 p.m. and repeat at 8 p.m.

After staring at the beautiful white mountain from a wilderness lodge near Wonder Lake at the edge of Denali National Park, Iris was lured onto North America’s highest mountain. She and three friends planned and executed their extensive trip following the “pioneer” route. They started on the north side of Denali, trekked up the northeast flank of the mountain, summited, then descended the popular West Buttress Route.

“We planned our gear, food and logistics around carrying everything over the mountain and flying off the Kahiltna Glacier,” said Neary. “We started in our Xtra-Tuffs carrying 80 pounds and ended up in our ski boots with smiles on our faces.”

Neary and her three companions “enjoyed our cozy accommodations of a four-man tent for 22 days, ate oatmeal every breakfast, and found a deeper trust in each other that we had before known,” she added.

Neary’s presentation kicks off the visitor center’s popular winter lecture series. Every Friday through March 24 twelve different speakers will present weekly lectures on a variety of topics.

Access to the visitor center is limited this winter due to elevator replacement. Elevators are closed. The only access is via the long ramp or stairs. Doors open at 6 p.m.

The 2017 Fireside Lecture schedule can be found on the Forest Service’s website at www.mendenhallglacier.net.

Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday through Sunday during winter. Call 907 789-0097 for more information.

.

-USDA-

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately. To manage your subscription visit http://www.fs.fed.us/news/subscription.shtml

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]