ALASKA-NEWS-RELEASE: Fireside Lectures at Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center begin January 8

Fireside Lectures at Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center begin January 8

JUNEAU, Alaska–The USDA Forest Service announces the 2016 Fireside Lecture series at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center kicks off on Friday, January 8 with a presentation featuring Southeast Alaska’s flying squirrels. Lectures occur every Friday night at 6:30 p.m. with a repeat at 8 p.m. during January, February and March.

“Juneau is fortunate to have experts on many topics,” said Fireside Program Coordinator Laurie Craig. “Wildlife, history, and culture are the general categories. Each year we find new programs to present to the public. This year’s lineup is terrific.”

Lecture topics include Kittlitz’s murrelets, Capitol history, polar bear excursions, Arctic sea ice changes, humpback whale and dolphin behavior, photography, rare yellow cedar trees, remote routes in southeast Alaska for runners, Taku Glacier, Thomas Corwin Mendenhall, and the 1813 wreck of a Russian America Company frigate near Sitka.

“Winter is a special time for the Forest Service to host lectures for Juneauites,” added Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center Director John Neary. “We welcome residents into the visitor center for a more personal experience than is possible during the busy summer season.” Fireside Lectures are free, as is the visitor center during the months of October through March.

“We offer warm beverages and cookies to create a nice social atmosphere for people to gather and chat before and after the lectures,” said Craig. “Our bookstore partner, Alaska Geographic, provides refreshments. Some bookstore items will be for sale this year, too.”

A poster listing lecturers, titles and times is available on the Forest Service’s website at www.mendenhallglacier.net. Winter hours at the center are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday–Sunday. Call 907-789-0097 for more information.

-end-