SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Coconino National Forest

Title: USDA Banner - Description: Horizontal green banner of solid color bearing the USDA logo on the left side.

U.S. Forest Service
Coconino National Forest
1824 S. Thompson St.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
www.coconinonationalforest.us
www.twitter.com/coconinonf
www.flickr.com/coconinonationalforest

News Release

Media Contact: Brady Smith
928-527-3490
bradysmith@xxxxxxxxx

Title: Forest Service logo - Description: Logo that reads:" Forest Service U S Department of Agriculture" all enclosed in a shield shape with a tree shape in the middle.

Public reminded that abandoned campfires still pose danger

Flagstaff, Ariz., July 14, 2015, For Immediate Release The Forest Service often witnesses an increase of abandoned campfires during the summer months when campfires are not restricted and would like to remind the public to fully extinguish their campfire before leaving their campsite.

            Campfires must be extinguished by drowning it with water, stirring with a shovel, and repeating that process until the campfire is cold to the touch. A campfire is still a danger if it has any trace of heat, and must not be left or abandoned. Wildfires can begin by abandoned campfires that rebuild heat on windy days and then blowing embers ignite surrounding grasses and brush.

            “So far this year, our fire prevention personnel have found a total of 319 abandoned campfires on the forest,” said Don Muise, fire staff officer for the Coconino National Forest. “People need to remember that there is still fire danger, and all it takes is one abandoned campfire in hot, dry and windy conditions to have a large devastating wildfire.”

            This year has been unique in that the Coconino NF has not gone into fire restrictions at all. Within the last 11 years (since 2005), the Coconino NF has implemented fire restrictions for seven of those years (i.e. 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014).

            “This time last year we counted 157 abandoned campfires and we are currently looking at 319,” said Muise. “Of course, one should take into account that we were in fire restrictions beginning April 18 until July 8 last year due to the dry conditions, but we need to realize that there is still a fire danger—even if conditions aren’t as dry as they were last year this time—and it’s against the law to leave a campfire abandoned.”

Number of Abandoned Campfires for Coconino National Forest

Year

Year-to-Date (up to July 13)

Total for Year

Campfire Restrictions

2015

319

TBD

No

2014

157

301

Yes: April 18 - July 8

2013

53

105

Yes: May 22 - July 10

2012

41

130

Yes: May 16 - July 18

2011

164

275

Yes: May 6 - 20 & June 4 - July 12

Source: Coconino National Forest Fire Dispatch

###

Brady Smith, MBA
Public Affairs Officer

Forest Service