ALASKA-NEWS-RELEASE: U.S. Forest Service announces Sitka district ranger

U.S. Forest Service announces Sitka district ranger

SITKA, Alaska–Tongass National Forest Supervisor Forrest Cole announced Perry Edwards will be the new Sitka District ranger. Perry is currently the Sitka District ecosystems staff leader. “Perry brings a lot of experience and knowledge of the Forest and Southeast Alaska communities with him as he takes over the reins,” said Cole. “He starts his new duties June 15, 2014.”

“This is my dream job in my dream location,” said Edwards. “I could NOT be happier to have found myself in this situation for career and life. Every day is another day in paradise. We have such a great bunch of folks at the Sitka Office which includes district, forest and regional employees and I look forward to continued positive interactions with everyone.”

“The importance of stakeholders and partners is huge,” Edwards added. “Partnerships are something we just cannot ignore with declining budgets and from the standpoint of working with other entities. I want to keep up the great relationships Sitka Ranger District has and foster some new ones as well.”

Edwards has worked on the Sitka District for nine years. He is married to Michelle Putz. Justin Koller is the acting ecosystem staff officer behind Edwards. Carol Goularte, the former Sitka district ranger for over 12 years, recently became the Tongass recreation staff officer.

Alaska Region Fisheries Program Manager, Don Martin, is currently acting district ranger. Martin will take over as acting forest fish, wildlife, watershed, ecology, and subsistence staff officer for the Tongass National Forest, filling the void left by Greg Killinger. Killinger died May 25 while hiking the Mount Verstovia trail in Sitka. Martin will be in the acting role for the next several months until the job is filled permanently.

The Sitka Ranger District, situated on the outer coast of the Gulf of Alaska, includes Baranof Island and part of Chichagof Island. The road system provides access to numerous miles of hiking trails, while access to the outer coast provides great opportunities for whale watching and fishing. The Harbor Mountain Road is the only place in southeast Alaska where it is possible to drive to sub alpine elevations. The Mount Edgecumbe Volcanic Field is another unique feature found on this district.

-end-

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]