SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

Prescribed Fire Completed on

Tusayan Ranger District

TUSAYAN, Ariz. – Crews completed a 229-acre section of the Flying J Prescribed Fire on the Tusayan Ranger District Friday, April 20. The project is located two miles southwest of Tusayan and west of the Grand Canyon Airport.

Crews observed light to moderate activity as the fire consumed dead and down material within the project boundaries. Quentin Johnson, Flying J Burn Boss and Tusayan Ranger District Fire Management Officer, commented, “Today’s work is part of an ongoing effort to reduce hazardous fuels, enhance wildlife habitat and improve forest health. We appreciate the assistance we received from fire crews from all districts of the Forest, Grand Canyon National Park and Tusayan Fire Department to help us meet our objectives on this burn.”

Smoke drifted west and south of the unit during the burn as light northeast winds transported smoke away from Grand Canyon Airport and State Highway 64. Ignitions were completed by early afternoon.

Crews are on scene today monitoring and patrolling the burn. Photos are posted on Flickr at www.flickr.com/kaibabnationalforest. For more information, please contact Punky Moore (928-635-5653).

                                                          -USFS-

Punky Moore

Fire Information Officer

Williams & Tusayan Ranger Districts

742 S. Clover Rd.

Williams, AZ  86046

928-635-5653

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -