SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

Good afternoon.  Please see news release below.

Thanks,
Jackie

Jacqueline C. Banks
Public Affairs Officer
Kaibab National Forest
928-635-8314
cell 928-606-7490
jcbanks@xxxxxxxxx

Kaibab Lake Campground To Reopen Following Renovation

WILLIAMS, Ariz. – Kaibab Lake Campground on the Williams Ranger District of the Kaibab National Forest will soon reopen following a $1.6 million renovation project.  The lower portion of the campground will open Friday (Aug. 12), and camping will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.  The entire campground will reopen Monday (Aug. 15).

“We are excited about the campground renovation and the improvements and we believe that the public will be pleased with the results,” said Deirdre McLaughlin, recreation forester.  “We’ve added a lot of day-use parking for people throughout the campground, so that folks will have more access to the lake for picnics and fishing.”

Kaibab Lake Campground, which is located about 4 miles northeast of Williams off of state Route 64, is one of the forest’s most popular campgrounds.  It has been closed to overnight camping because of the major improvements being undertaken by the Kaibab National Forest and local contractor L P’s Excavating of Williams.

Improvements to the campground include new pavement, new parking spurs, new campsite amenities such as fire rings and picnic tables, more day-use parking for improved fishing access, improved ramadas, additional small-group capacity, a re-designed overnight group camping area, and a new camping loop with an additional 11 campsites.  The entrance road to the campground has also been improved.

“The reconstruction project has added new amenities and enhanced existing ones,” McLaughlin said.  “We believe the renovation will lead to improved visitor experiences for many years to come.”

For additional information about Kaibab Lake Campground, please contact the Williams Ranger District at (928) 635-5600.

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]