ALASKA-NEWS-RELEASE: Forest Service Ready to Start Work on Community Stewardship Project

  Tongass National Forest   News Release

Erin Uloth • Public Affairs Officer • Work: 907-228-6201 • Cell: 907-617-8668

For release: February 25, 2011

 Forest Service Ready to Start Work on Community Stewardship Project

Petersburg, AK— The Tongass National Forest announced today it is ready to move forward with a stewardship project on Kupreanof Island. The project calls for fish passage improvement, wildlife habitat restoration, recreational enhancement, road and trail maintenace and timber harvesting. The project is a critical piece of the agency’s “Transition Framework” effort announced last May, by Regional Forester Beth Pendleton.

“The Central Kupreanof Stewardship Project is the first phase of a longer term project with many facets,” said Petersburg District Ranger Chris Savage. “Ultimately, we’re looking to maintain and improve current jobs and infrastructure within the community of Kake, while building capacity for future industries in Southeast. We’re excited to have completed the analysis and to move ahead with implementation.”

The Tongass is now in a position to take such steps as a result of today’s release of the Central Kupreanof Timber Harvest decision, which includes a total of 26.3 MMBF identified as available for harvest. The stewardship project will likely include a timber compnenet as well as possible fish passage improvements, wildlife habitat resoration and road and trail maintenance. Savage has been working with the community and regional stakeholders for over a year, collaboratively exploring how to garner the most benefit for the forest management, local residents and contractors.

“We’re working with our communities and our local employers to find projects, which make sense and keeps Southeast Alaskans employed,” said Savage. “In today’s economic climate, it’s more important than ever.”

The Central Kupreanof Timber Harvest decision and associated environmental analysis, called the Central Kupreanof Timber Harvest Environmental Impact Statement, will be available on the website starting today (www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/projects/projects.shtml) and mailed out early next week. As part of the Forest Service process for releasing such decisions, a 30-day public appeal period will begin March 14, 2011. For further information contact District Ranger Chris Savage, at 907-772-5900.

NOTE TO RADIO: The Forest Service has developed a newsline and actuality packages for this release. To download, visit www.fs.usda.gov/goto/r10/newslines . For technical assistance, contact Gary Chase at 907-586-7150.

-END-

The USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

This press release, as well as other news releases from the Tongass National Forest, are available at our Newsroom: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/newsroom/newsroom.shtml

Erin Uloth

***
Partnerships and Public Affairs Staff Officer
Tongass National Forest
w. 907.228.6201  |   f. 907.228.6292  |  c. 907.617.8668
euloth@xxxxxxxxx

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]