ALASKA-NEWS-RELEASE: Tongass National Forest Welcomes New Admiralty Island National Monument Ranger

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE-FOREST SERVICE
Tongass National Forest
News Release

Contact: Leslie Swada
Phone:  907-228-6274
Release Date:  November 8, 2010

Tongass National Forest Welcomes New Admiralty Island National Monument Ranger

Ketchikan, Alaska – The Tongass National Forest is pleased to announce the new ranger for the Admiralty Island National Monument, Chad VanOrmer.  VanOrmer previously worked for the Forest Service in Alaska and was most recently the recreation, wilderness and heritage program manager at the Green Mountain and Finger Lakes National Forests in Vermont.

VanOrmer started with the Forest Service in 2001 as a district recreation and wilderness planner on the Tongass National Forest, working for both the Craig and Thorne Bay ranger districts.

“My family and I have fallen in love with Southeast Alaska over the years. We are glad to be back and I am excited to be working with the world-class natural resources on Admiralty Island National Monument and with the wonderful communities, particularly the Native communities,” VanOrmer said in a recent interview.

VanOrmer holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Forestry from Southern Illinois University and a Master of Science degree in Conservation Social Sciences from the University of Idaho. VanOrmer completed master’s research on the interactions of backcountry visitors and bears in Glacier National Park, which uniquely prepared him for the oversight of the monument with the highest concentration of brown bears in the world.

The USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.