SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

Pile Burning Planned on Williams Ranger District

WILLIAMS, Ariz. – As a continuation of our prescribed fire program, fire crews may burn slash piles on the Williams Ranger District Monday, Oct. 18. Depending on conditions and Arizona Department of Environmental Quality approval, approximately 180 acres of slash piles are available for burning three miles south of Kendrick Mountain near Government Prairie.
        The piles will be ignited if adequate precipitation falls on the forest before Monday. The forecast shows a storm system approaching the area with increasing chances of showers and thunderstorms.
Managers expect smoke to drift north of the piles and to settle in Government Prairie overnight. We understand that smoke created while we accomplish our prescribed burning projects impacts people in our community.  We appreciate your tolerance to some smoke now in order to reduce the future occurrence of severe wildfires.
For more information on Kaibab National Forest burning, please contact Punky Moore (928-635-5653).
 -USFS-

Punky Moore
Fire Information Officer
Kaibab National Forest