USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: Growing a Healthier Future

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: Growing a Healthier Future

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications Header

In Case You Missed It Header

Fall peppers and chili at Bloomingdale Farmers Market, a park side street location in Washington, D.C.

March is National Nutrition Month, an excellent time to think about some of the monumental changes our nation’s nutrition programs have undergone under the Obama Administration. To celebrate, this month we launched Chapter III of our yearlong storytelling effort, titled Growing a Healthier Future: Improving Nutrition and Access to Healthy Food for Americans. The chapter, released in two parts, invites you to travel with Secretary Vilsack through seven years of historic progress to our nation’s nutrition safety net.

Part I, issued last week, provides an overview of how changes made under the historic Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, have created a healthier school food environment for over 50 million children and have put our country’s future on more stable footing. Part II of the chapter, released earlier today, addresses how we’ve worked during the past seven years to maximize the ability of our programs to fight hunger and improve health for more children and families.

Since taking office in 2009, the Obama Administration has strengthened the core USDA nutrition programs that support our nation’s vulnerable populations while, at the same time, putting in place strategies that improve the nutritional quality of the foods we provide. Alongside our partners, we’ve developed innovative strategies designed to make our country’s safety net better, smarter and more efficient, while also safeguarding taxpayer dollars in our programs. Our unwavering commitment to science-based food and nutrition policies has lifted millions of Americans out of poverty and has undoubtedly contributed to our country’s national and economic security.

We hope you’ll join us throughout the month on usda.gov, on the USDA blog and by using #USDAResults. You can also catch up on Chapter I and Chapter II by visiting our Medium site at:
http://www.usda.gov/medium.

The Week in Pictures

International School Meals Day raises awareness of the importance of food and nutrition in education and offers an opportunity for students to share s

International School Meals Day on March 3 raised awareness of the importance of food and nutrition in education and offered an opportunity for students to share school feeding experiences from across the globe.

Arizona Cardinals football player Drew Butler makes pizza with kids at the Ken "Chief" Hill Learning Academy of the Chandler Unified School District i

Since the passage of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, we have seen some extraordinary summer meal programs sponsors and partners. Arizona Cardinals football player Drew Butler makes pizza with kids at the Ken "Chief" Hill Learning Academy of the Chandler Unified School District in Arizona during Pizza Camp, funded by the Dairy Council of Arizona.

At-a-glance view of dietary intake provided by SuperTracker’s Food Tracker feature, available on desktop, mobile, and tablet

The USDA Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) offers online tools in various formats, desktop, tablet, and mobile, to help you plan a healthy diet and see how you’re doing over time. The SuperTracker can help you build your own healthy eating style through interactive tracking using the Food Tracker feature.

ICYMI on the USDA Blog

How the Biggest Changes in Our Nation’s Nutrition Programs in a Generation Came to Be

In this blog, Secretary Tom Vilsack kicks off a month-long celebration of USDA’s work in nutrition by reflecting on some of the historic changes that have come to pass under the Obama Administration.

USDA Nutrition: Where We've Been and Where We're Going Next

The United States has always prided itself on lending a helping hand to its citizens in trying times. Throughout our history, when Americans have fallen on hardship, our safety net has stepped in to provide temporary help to those who need it.

Every Additional Kid Is a Win: Breaking Down Barriers Around Afterschool Meals

In a guest blog, Wendy Bolger, Director of Program Innovation Strategy, No Kid Hungry, highlights the results of a pilot with Share our Strength and conducted through No Kid Hungry’s Child and Adult-care Food Program, or CACFP, which enables schools to offer one meal and/or one snack in a congregate meal setting as part of enrichment programs offered outside of regular school hours.

Growing a Daily Dose of Nature for Everyone

In many ways, urban forests are unsung heroes of strong, vital and healthy communities, enriching the lives of the more than 80 percent of Americans who live in cities among the nation’s 136 million acres of urban forest land.

Outstanding Summer Sites Offer Tips for Improving Summer Meal Programs

USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service’s Western Region outlines tips from 13 of its partners about how to ensure successful summer programs.

It’s Christmas All Year in Idaho

The U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree is a national tradition that dates back to 1964. Since 1970 USDA’s U.S. Forest Service has selected a different national forest to find, harvest and deliver the tree to the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., in December. This year, the Payette National Forest in Idaho will provide the 2016 tree.

A Peach of a School Meal Alternative

An increasing number of our nation’s schools are using locally grown foods for school meals thanks to efforts of The USDA Farm to School Program. In a guest blog, Lindsey Grubbs, Florida Farm to School and WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program Director, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, discusses how Florida citrus farmers are working with school food service directors and the Florida Farm to School Team to give students the chance to eat the new “Florida Peach.”

Modern Solutions for Personal Nutrition

USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) offers a variety of tools, available in desktop, tablet, and mobile formats, to help you plan a healthy diet and see how you’re doing over time. The SuperTracker is a free food, physical activity, and weight tracking tool which includes the Food Tracker feature—an at-a-glance view of your dietary intake, including the five MyPlate food groups, calories, added sugars, saturated fat, and sodium.

Tennessee Farmer Creates Top-Notch Turkey Habitat While Improving Grazing Lands

When it comes to understanding and improving turkey habitat restoration, there are few more knowledgeable than farmer Chuck Borum in Pulaski, Tennessee. Borum used the National Resources Conservation Service’s (NRCS) Environmental Quality Initiatives Program (EQIP) to improve his grazing operation by installing water structures and lines for his livestock and fields. The program enabled him to establish field borders too, which happen to provide excellent habitat for turkeys.

Children Worldwide Celebrate International School Meals Day

March 3 marked the fourth consecutive year that USDA has partnered with the United Kingdom to invite children from across the globe to promote nutrition and school meals, this year focusing on introducing fresh and healthy local fare into their diets. The celebration of this movement – International School Meals Day – draws our attention to the importance of good nutrition for all children. On that day children connect through social media to share their food experiences and healthy eating habits.

Food and Nutrition Education: Growing Healthy Bodies and Minds

Dr. Evelyn F. Crayton, RDN, LDN, FAND, President of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, discusses the value of nutrition education, such as MyPlate, in a guest blog kicked off USDA’s month-long celebration of National Nutrition Month.

Safeguarding the Food Supply and Protecting Human Health

This Science Tuesday post discusses the recent work of the IR-4 Program (“Inter-Regional Project #4”), a collaboration established more than 50 years ago and headquartered at Rutgers University to help ensure the safe production of a diverse food supply.

Ohio Farmer Continues Life-Long Drive to Improve Environment

Since she was a teenager some 60 years ago, Gail Dunlap has played an active role in her family’s seventh generation Ohio farming operation by focusing on ways to continually improve conservation practices and establish a natural and sustainable way of life.

Conservation and Biological Diversity in Organic Production

Organic systems seek to mirror nature by maintaining biodiversity on the farm and using methods that support conservation of natural resources. For instance, organic producers often plant native vegetation throughout a certified organic farm.

Tribal Conservation Partnership Provides Aquaculture Ponds for Walleye

Sustainable conservation and protection of natural resources has always been a goal of the Lac du Flambeau Tribe since inhabiting parts of Wisconsin in 1745. The reservation, established by the Treaty of La Pointe in 1854, includes 86,000 acres of land, 24,000 acres of wetlands, 260 lakes and 65 miles of streams and rivers.

Bioreactors Form a Last Line of Defense against Nitrate Runoff

In 2011, the Iowa Soybean Association was awarded a USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NCRS) Conservation Innovation Grant to increase farmer awareness and accelerate implementation of denitrifying bioreactors.

USDA’s Commitment to Develop Food and Agricultural Workforce of the Future

According to a 2013 study funded by USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), an average of 57,900 jobs will open every year from 2015 to 2020 and require a bachelor’s degree or higher in food, agriculture, natural resources, or environmental studies. Strikingly, it is also expected that 39% of positions will go unfilled.

Listen Header

South African Market Now Open To US Meat Exports

Broadcast Date: Wed, March 2, 2016
A removal of trade barriers by South Africa means US beef, pork and poultry are now available to consumers in that market. (Rod Bain and US Trade Representative Michael Froman)

USDA Expanding Help to States To Link SNAP Recipients to Training/Jobs

Broadcast Date: Wed, March 2, 2016
The Agriculture Department has announced that ten states have been selected to take part in a program to help states better connect SNAP participants with jobs and job training. (Gary Crawford and Secretary Tom Vilsack) **Note to broadcasters: The 10 states in the new program are Arizona, Arkansas, California, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina and Tennessee.

New Policies in Argentina Mean New Competition for U.S. Farmers

Broadcast Date: Wed, March 2, 2016
New trade and agricultural policies in Argentina will mean more competition in world markets for U.S. producers. (Gary Crawford, President Mauricio Macri and Ramiro Costa)

How Ag Tourism Operators Can Limit Liability

Broadcast Date: Wed, March 2, 2016
As more producers turn their farm or ranch into agritourism sites, they must consider practical ways to protect themselves against liability. (Rod Bain and Scott Heiberger of the National Farm Medicine Center)

Vilsack--"No Focused Plans for the Future"

Broadcast Date: Tue, March 1, 2016
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack gets asked about his future plans a lot these days. (Gary Crawford and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

Senate Ag. Committee Sends Up a GMO Label Bill for Senate Consideration

Broadcast Date: Tue, March 1, 2016
It's only the first step in getting in place what could be a national label system for foods with genetically modified ingredients. The Senate Agriculture Committee took that step Tuesday. (Gary Crawford, Secretary Tom Vilsack and Senator's Michael Bennet, Patrick Leahy, Pat Roberts, Bob Casey, Debbie Stabenow, John Hoeven, Heidi Heitkamp, and Joe Donnelly)

A Better Food Shopping Experience for WIC Participants

Broadcast Date: Mon, February 29, 2016
If you are participating in USDA's Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), your experience shopping for your special foods will soon be easier and more convenient. (Gary Crawford and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

A Plan to Expand USDA's Summer Feeding Program

Broadcast Date: Mon, February 29, 2016
Conferees at the National Anti-Hunger Policy Conference in Washington heard the Agriculture Secretary explain a plan to expand USDA's Summer Feeding Program. (Gary Crawford and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

Vilsack Opposes Proposal for Drug Testing of SNAP Recipients

Broadcast Date: Mon, February 29, 2016
What are the views of the Agriculture Secretary on ideas being pushed to require drug testing of SNAP recipients? (Gary Crawford, Rep. Robert Aderholt and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

Experts Urge More Surveillance of Possible Emerging Diseases

Broadcast Date: Mon, February 29, 2016
What can we do to get an earlier start on handling new and emerging diseases? (Gary Crawford, Dr. Tara O'Toole, James Greenwood and Gerald Parker)

Barriers To Meeting the Demand for More Organic Products

Broadcast Date: Mon, February 29, 2016
There are some challenges in getting farmers to convert from conventional to organic production, even with the promise of eventual profits. (Gary Crawford, Catherine Greene, Laura Batcha and John Reganold)

Read About Us in the News

Electronic cards to make WIC easier to use (Associated Press)

Pregnant women and parents using the Women, Infants and Children program will have an easier time buying food at the grocery store. The Agriculture Department is announcing Monday that it will require states to transition from paper vouchers to electronic cards over the next five years.

Rule would require more healthy choices for food stamp users (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

At the tiny Schwartz Supermarket in the Marshall-Shadeland neighborhood in Pittsburgh’s North Side, market owner Abdul Rahim does a brisk business, greeting some customers by name as he sells chips, candy and cigarettes. Under a proposed new federal rule, stores like his that accept food stamp cards would be required to stock far more healthy food choices for customers than they do currently.

Arkansas 1 of 10 States Selected by USDA for Employment Program (Arkansas Business) Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack today announced that 10 states have been selected to take part in SNAP to Skills, a first-of-its-kind, peer-to-peer effort to help state agencies design improved employment and training programs for adults participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in order to help them find employment and ultimately move off the SNAP program.

North Carolina gets federal help with food stamp employment program
(News & Observer) North Carolina is one of 10 states being offered federal help to get job training and work for more food stamp recipients. The state will work with the Seattle Jobs Initiative, a program that the U.S. Department of Agriculture has recognized as innovative and effective.

USDA chooses state for job-training plan tied to food stamps (Arkansas Democrat-Gazette) The 30,000 Arkansans who could lose food stamps this year will have more options to receive training and find jobs through a program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced Tuesday. The SNAP to Skills program will help states organize programs to ultimately move adults off the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

Maryland expands food stamp program after lost federal money (Baltimore Sun) Maryland is expanding a work-training program tied to food stamps after the state returned hundreds of thousands of dollars in federal money that could have been used to help low-income residents find jobs. The U.S. Department of Agriculture is set to announce on Wednesday that Maryland is one of 10 states that will take part in a program called SNAP to Skills that is intended to bolster workforce training tied to the food stamp program.

Tenn. to get food stamps-to-jobs program
(Knoxville News Sentinel) Tennessee has been selected as one of 10 states to take part in a program to help connect some food stamp recipients with the training and assistance they need to get jobs. The U.S. Department of Agriculture today unveiled SNAP to Skills, which is program meant to teach state agencies to design better training and employment programs to help able-bodied adults using the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program find employment and eventually move off the SNAP program.

Missouri selected for SNAP employment and job training project
(Springfield News-Leader) As Missouri adds stricter job requirements for "able-bodied adults" who receive food stamp assistance, the U.S. Department of Agriculture is stepping in to help the state get better at assisting these people. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack announced Wednesday that Missouri and nine other states have been selected to take part in SNAP to Skills, a new effort to help state agencies design improved employment and training programs for adults participating in the SNAP program.

In effort to move more people off SNAP benefits, USDA selects Massachusetts for employment and training program (MassLive.com) Massachusetts is one of 10 states that has been chosen by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to take part in an initiative the federal agency hopes will ultimately transition more people off food benefits. Tom Vilsack, the U.S. secretary of agriculture, told MassLive Tuesday that Massachusetts has been selected for the SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which administers benefits) to Skills program, an effort to help state agencies design improved employment and training programs.

Share Header

Under Sec Concannon visits @OCPSnews (FL) to highlight the importance of healthy habits! #NationalNutritionMonth

U.S. kids are eating more fruits & veggies at lunch. Catch up on more #USDAResults → http://www.medium.com/usda-results

Farm to School: Good for Kids, Good for Schools, Good for Rural America. #USDAResults → http://bit.ly/1QpmJxb

  Food and Nutrition Education: Growing healthy bodies and minds http://1.usa.gov/1XYq4Z4  #NationalNutritionMonth

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]