USDA In Case You Missed It - A #HighFive for Farmers

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - A #HighFive for Farmers

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications Header

In Case You Missed It Header

Ivory Smith, founder of SmithPonics, shows off a tray of his microgreens while his son tags along for the ride.

“I’m used to hard work; I served in the Infantry – but agriculture is a different kind of hard work.”

— Ivory Smith , founder of SmithPonics

This week’s farmer feature is Ivory Smith, founder of SmithPonics in Poplarville, Mississippi.
Following ten years of service in the Army National Guard, including tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, Ivory became interested in microgreens and hydroponics. After some market research and experimenting, this stay-at-home dad established the groundwork for SmithPonics to provide fresh microgreens to farmers markets and high-end restaurants in Mississippi.

Ivory has been able to make the transition from fighter to farmer, starting with a couple buckets, some seeds and a bit of guidance from a USDA-funded workshop. With year-round products now available to his customers, his business is growing as fast as his microgreens, and he is building economic opportunity in his own community.

You can also hear from a few more military veterans in their own voice
on making the transition to farming.

As 2015 draws to a close, we’re thanking our nation’s farmers and ranchers for all they’ve done by highlighting a few of the most moving and motivating stories of the year. Follow along this month as we continue to feature farmer and rancher stories as well as track some of our favorite digital content from 2015. Throughout December, use #highfive to see just what we’ve been up to in the last 12 months, and stay tuned as we look forward to a 2016 that promises to be better than ever.

The Week in Pictures

Stacey Givens of Side Yard Farm and Kitchen stands in a high tunnel built with assistance from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Natural Res
Portland has become one of the top cities in the nation for its food scene, and a high tunnel addition is helping this farmer feed the city.

Lower Kalskag residents Marcus Lake and his mother, Carrie
Lower Kalskag residents Marcus Lake and his mother, Carrie, will have fresh running water and indoor plumbing for the first time once a USDA-funded health and sanitation improvement project is complete in the Alaskan village.

The USDA Farmers Market
Thinking about starting a night market? USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service offers their Top Five Lessons Learned from a pilot USDA Farmers Market at Night.

Doug Jernigan, a three-generation family farm owner
Local residents and businesses in Mt. Olive, NC will soon be able to use excess electrical energy from the swine and turkey waste manure at Doug Jernigan Farms, a three-generation family farm and employer who, a few months earlier, refinanced a first of it’s kind, in the nation, swine-turkey waste to renewable energy system, with USDA support.

ICYMI on the USDA Blog

Five Lessons Learned from USDA’s Farmers Market at Night

Our own USDA Farmers Market, brought to you by USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS), celebrated 20 years of offering Washington, DC access to farm-fresh products this year.

A Banner Year for Data: 5 New Ways We’re Keeping Ag Statistics Current

The past 12 months made for an eventful year in the world of agricultural statistics. In our efforts to remain true to our mission of providing timely, accurate, and useful statistics, we transformed several of our programs and tackled research to keep up with data needs of a changing agricultural industry.

A Banner Year for Education: 5 Grants Supporting Ag Education at All Levels, from Classrooms to Farms and the Table

Strengthening education is crucial to the future of agriculture. To ensure that citizens are aware of farming’s impact on the economy and society, school curricula must emphasize the interconnected role of farming, food, and fiber production with environmental quality.

Rural America in the Post-Recession Years

Each year, USDA’s Economic Research Service provides a snapshot of the rural economy in a report entitled Rural America at a Glance.

Job Corps Students, Alumnae ‘Pay it Forward,’ Helping Each Other Learn Leadership Skills

Preparing for a career involves many steps, plus individual motivation as well as help from those who’ve gone before you. That’s what a group of 60 Harpers Ferry Job Corps students explored recently during a recent training session related to job preparedness for the U.S. Forest Service.

USDA Process Verified Program: Transparency from Farm to Market

Product labeling is a contract of trust between consumers and producers.  This is especially true for the foods we eat and the companies that sell them.

High Tunnel Addition Helps Urban Farmer Feed Portland

Portland has become one of the top cities in the nation for its food scene—from trendy neighborhood food carts to fine dining to farm-to-table restaurants. It’s also a place where people embrace eating locally-grown food.

A High Five for Transformed Communities

If there’s a pinnacle of pride I have in our USDA Rural Development staff, it’s their ability to work with rural communities and our public and private partners to be a positive force for transformation in cities and towns across the country. For my #HighFive to our staff at Headquarters and in field offices across the nation and territories, I want to highlight five projects that have transformed rural communities.

A Banner Year for Economic and Social Research: 5 Reports on Rural Communities and on Opportunities for Agriculture

Information on economic, demographic, and social developments in rural America, as well as on current and emerging opportunities for farmers is important to policy makers and other stakeholders.

USDA TV Header

Looking back at 2015 and working lands for wildlife
Week in Review

Looking back at 2015 and working lands for wildlife.

Listen Header

More USDA Funding to Restore Sage Grouse Habitat

Broadcast Date: Thu, December 10, 2015

The USDA has just released more money to help ranchers restore Sage Grouse habitat. (Gary Crawford, Dan Ashe and Under Sec'y Robert Bonnie)

The Taste Of Strawberries - Quite A Difference

Broadcast Date: Thu, December 10, 2015

The variety of taste associated with strawberries is wide ranging, depending in part on our own tastes. (Rod Bain and Kim Lewers of USDA's Agricultural Research Service)

Who Will Grow Our Christmas Trees in 20 Years?

Broadcast Date: Wed, December 9, 2015

Aging Christmas tree farmers are worried that no one will take over the growing of those trees in twenty years. (Gary Crawford, Ag. Sec'y Tom Vilsack and Christmas tree growers, Blake Rafeld, Jim Gehlsen and Jay Bustard)

The Role Of Soils In Climate Change Mitigation

Broadcast Date: Tue, December 8, 2015

Soil health will play a major role in addressing issues related to climate change, according to a United Nations official. (Rod Bain and Dr. Ajay Markanday of the UN Food and Agricultural Organization)

Still Hope for Breaking California's Drought

Broadcast Date: Tue, December 8, 2015

Is there still hope for breaking the four year drought in central and southern California? (Gary Crawford and Brad Rippey)

Read About Us in the News

U.S. Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Visits Green Door Gourmet (Nashville Scene)

U.S. Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Krysta Harden was in Middle Tennessee on Monday to address the 94th annual Tennessee Farm Bureau Convention being held in Franklin.

USDA awards Ensyn $70M conditional loan guarantee for 20 million gallons cellulosic biofuels project in Georgia
(Biofuels Digest)

In Washington, US Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack announced that Ensyn has received a conditional loan guarantee commitment for $70 million for a 20 million gallon cellulosic biofuels facility to be located in Georgia.

What happens when a family runs out of food stamps
(Washington Post)

Toward the end of every month, hospitals in California see a curious uptick in admissions for hypoglycemia, the kind of low blood sugar that can affect diabetics.

Spotlight Webcast: Tom Vilsack, Secretary of Agriculture (Spotlight on Poverty)[VIDEO]

In April the White House launched "Rural Impact,” a cross-agency effort to combat poverty and improve upward mobility in rural and tribal places.

Vilsack: Climate change deal will improve food supply (USA Today)

Unless the warming of the earth is slowed, it will damage the quantity, quality and delivery of food across the world, perhaps generating hunger and conflict, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack told USA TODAY in an interview Wednesday.

Climate Change Puts Food Security At Risk, USDA Warns (Think Progress)

September was the warmest on record for the Imperial Valley, with temperatures climbing over 90 degrees.

Climate change could make more 175 million people go hungry – USDA report (The Guardian)

Unchecked climate change risks plunging a further 175 million people into hunger and undernourishment worldwide, undermining progress in reducing food insecurity, a US government report warns.

Farm Equity Still Strong (Red River Farm Network)

In an interview with the Red River Farm Network, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack talked about the climate change report he released last week at the climate change conference in Paris.

Climate Change Brews Perfect Storm of Food Woes (Scientific American)

Climate change is on track to cause a lot of problems for the world's farmers, and the worst hit will be those who are the least able to recover.

From Paris: Climate Change Impacts On Global And Local Food (New Orleans Public Radio)

In Paris, international climate change negotiations continue. Drafts of the negotiating text are circulating, as the delegates meet in working groups behind closed doors.

Share Header

A #HighFive to America's farms! Did you know 99% are family owned? Read more: http://1.usa.gov/1REFMY0
The latest in sustainable farming? Smart phones! USDA jumped on that trend in 2015 http://ow.ly/VCEyA  #HighFive

This week, take a look back at our top tweets of 2015 & catch up on a whole year → http://ow.ly/VzWCm  #HighFive

A Banner Year for Data: 5 new ways we’re keeping ag statistics current http://ow.ly/VIoIF  #HighFive

Five ways the Trans-Pacific Partnership will benefit agriculture and Rural America http://ow.ly/VM0GS  #HighFive

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]