USDA In Case You Missed It - A #HighFive for Farmers

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - A #HighFive for Farmers

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications Header

In Case You Missed It Header

Dairy farmers Matt and Debbie Hoff with their daughters Courtney, Brook and Alicia.

This year, millions of rural businesses and families made positive impacts in their communities with the support of USDA investments. As 2015 draws to a close, we want to thank our nation’s farmers and ranchers for all they’ve done by highlighting a few of the most moving and motivating stories of the year.

Our first farmer feature is a family farm
that is producing high quality dairy products while at the same time, doing their part to protect our planet for future generations.

In New Windsor, Maryland, Matt and Debbie Hoff (pictured above) are working with USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service to reduce runoff of nutrients and sediment from their dairy farm leading to cleaner water downstream. Coldsprings Farm is one of the largest family-owned dairy farms in Maryland, with a herd of 1,100 Holsteins, in addition to 2,200 acres of crops. Five generations of the Hoff family have farmed this land, using manure management practices, no-till, cover crops and riparian buffers to minimize runoff of nutrient and sediment while maintaining a productive farming operation. You can read their story here and see more pictures of their farm. Join us in giving the Hoffs and Coldsprings Farm a #highfive for their work in 2015.

Follow along this month as we continue to feature farmer and rancher stories as well as track some of our favorite digital content from 2015. Throughout December, use #highfive to see just what we’ve been up to in the last 12 months, and stay tuned as we look forward to a 2016 that promises to be better than ever.

The Week in Pictures

Last week, Secretary Vilsack traveled to COP 21 in Paris where he announced a new report that identifies the impacts of climate change on global food
Last week, Secretary Vilsack traveled to COP 21 in Paris where he announced a new report that identifies the impacts of climate change on global food security.

An Instagram photo series showed the splendor of our nation’s National Forests and Grasslands. Pictured here: Kayaking at the LaRue-Pine Hills Area in
An Instagram photo series showed the splendor of our nation’s National Forests and Grasslands. Pictured here: Kayaking at the LaRue-Pine Hills Area in the Shawnee National Forest.

Marlette Lake is a human-made reservoir on the Carson Ranger District of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest.
Marlette Lake is a human-made reservoir on the Carson Ranger District of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest.

Fall colors frame the Lily Pond on the White Mountain National Forest earlier this season.
Fall colors frame the Lily Pond on the White Mountain National Forest earlier this season.

A summer storm rolls in on the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests, in Gunnison, Colorado.
A summer storm rolls in on the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests, in Gunnison, Colorado.

U.S. Forest Service Forestry Technician Chelsea Murawsk found this winter majesty in the ice caves on the Hiawatha National Forest’s Grand Island Nati
U.S. Forest Service Forestry Technician Chelsea Murawsk found this winter majesty in the ice caves on the Hiawatha National Forest’s Grand Island National Recreation Area.

ICYMI on the USDA Blog

In 2015, A #HighFive for Farmers

This year, millions of rural businesses and families were positively impacted by USDA investments in their communities. From helping farmers and ranchers bring their products to tables here and abroad, to building critical infrastructure in America’s rural areas, to conserving our nation’s natural resources with long-lasting partnerships, USDA is continuously working toward better results each year for the American people. As 2015 draws to a close, we want to thank our nation’s farmers and ranchers and rural families for all they’ve done by highlighting some of the most moving and motivating stories of the year.

Partnering with Farmers and Ranchers to Address Climate Change and Food Security Challenges

As world leaders gather in Paris this week to negotiate a new global climate agreement, it is important to recognize the contributions of farmers, ranchers and foresters in the United States towards achieving a more food secure world while adapting to climate change, increasing carbon sequestration, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

Five Conservation Stories from 2015 You Should Read

2015 was a banner year for voluntary conservation efforts in the United States.  Whether protecting the farmlands, grasslands and wetlands with partnership efforts and conservation easements, helping new farmers get started with conservation on smaller scale farms or providing conservation solutions for organic, transitioning-to-organic and conventional farms or ranches across the country, the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service celebrates the voluntary, private-lands conservation efforts of the partners, farmers and ranchers. Together they represent some of the strongest stewards of the American landscape. Here are five 2015 stories that highlight a big year for conservation.

Five Things You Should Know About USDA Climate Hubs In 2015

The USDA Climate Hubs are having a banner first year.  The focus has been about coordination and scoping.  We are diligently working to understand all the existing “players” in the game so that we can concentrate on areas and projects that will have the greatest impact on America’s farmers, ranchers and forest land owners.

Farmer, Conservationists Partner to Build a Bridge for Salmon in Southern Maine

A just-completed project that restored a fish passage in southern Maine may have another benefit – preventing an environmental disaster on important salmon-spawning streams. A new bridge that now crosses the Swan Pond Creek at the Al Dube Quarterhorse Farm in York County was the culmination of a year-long quest by the Saco River Salmon Club and Hatchery and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to rehabilitate a section of the creek for fish passage and rearing of juvenile salmon.

Working Together to Address Global Food Insecurity

As a daughter of farmers, and as someone who has spent her career working on behalf of farmers, one of the things I care most deeply about is the future of agriculture –  both in the United States and around the world. That is why one of my highest priorities at USDA has been to help develop the next generation of farmers, ensuring that women, young people, and others have access to the programs and support they need to farm successfully.

FSA Partnership Helps New Farmer Connect to the Land

Growing up in Tanzania, East Africa, Sangiwa Eliamani became a skilled farmer producing rice, millet and cotton throughout the year, using typical hand tools. He had no concerns about seasonal timing or finding markets for his crops, until he moved to the United States and attempted to farm in Massachusetts.

Library Garden Provides ‘Rest Stop’ for Monarch Butterflies

The pollinator garden at our library in Princeton, Ill. is a popular rest stop for monarch butterflies on their cross-continental journey. My agency, USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), worked with local partners and businesses to create a 2,400-square-foot pollinator garden as a way to educate the public and provide needed pollinator habitat.

USDA TV Header

USDA Week In Review December 4
Week in Review

In this edition of USDA Week In Review: Lighting the Capitol Christmas Tree, agriculture and climate change, and the connection between soil and space.

Read About Us in the News

Agriculture Department Forecasts Less Abundance in the Land of Plenty (New York Times)

The United States is the world’s largest food exporter, but as the climate keeps changing, “crop yields, livestock production and revenues are expected to decline,” according to a detailed new analysis by the Agriculture Department.

Climate change could make 175 million more people go hungry – USDA report (The Guardian)

Unchecked climate change risks plunging a further 175 million people into hunger and undernourishment worldwide, undermining progress in reducing food insecurity, a US government report warns.

Study Looks At Climate Change, Colo. Food Security (Colorado Public Radio)

A new report by the U.S. Department of Agriculture warns that climate change could impact the food supply in Colorado--and across the world.

USDA report details climate change threat to U.S. and global agriculture (Agri-Pulse)

The USDA today unveiled a new report warning that global warming will continue to cut agricultural production in the U.S. and around the world and reverse the recent trend of rising food security in some of the poorest countries.

Vilsack: 'To address climate change, we have to get ahead of it' (Farm Futures)

As world leaders gather in Paris this week to negotiate a new global climate agreement, it is important to recognize the contributions of farmers, ranchers and foresters in the United States towards achieving a more food secure world while adapting to climate change, increasing carbon sequestration, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

Globetrotting Ag Secretary (Ag Wired)

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack is continuing his world travels this week in Europe after visiting Cuba, Japan and China in the past few weeks.

Listen Header

California Drought Woes Continue

Broadcast Date: Thu, December 3, 2015

California anxiously awaits drought relief from El Nino fueled storms, but for now the four year drought continues. (Rod Bain and USDA meteorologist, Brad Rippey)

Beyond International Year Of Soil Celebration

Broadcast Date: Thu, December 3, 2015

What lies ahead for education and awareness of the importance of soils and soil health as the International Year of Soil celebration comes to a close? (Rod Bain and Griffith Observatory curator Laura Danly)

USDA Releases New Report on Climate Change

Broadcast Date: Wed, December 2, 2015

New report has warnings about the effects of climate change on world food security. (Gary Crawford, Sec'y Tom Vilsack and Peter Backlund)

World Agricultural Leaders in Paris Talk about Climate Change Challenge

Broadcast Date: Wed, December 2, 2015

The idea of "climate smart agriculture" is being given international attention this week in Paris meetings. (Gary Crawford, Sec'y Tom Vilsack, Luis Felipe Arauz-Cavallin, Cao duc Phat, Geraldine Byrne-Nelson)

Actuality: Report Lists Ways to Reduce Climate Change Effect on Agriculture

Broadcast Date: Wed, December 2, 2015

Peter Backund, co-author of USDA's new climate change report, saying there are possible ways to mitigate some of the negative effects of climate change on the world's food system.

Actuality: Vilsack Outlines for Paris Meeting U.S. Ag. Climate Change Actions

Broadcast Date: Wed, December 2, 2015

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack telling a meeting of the Global Alliance for Climate Smart Agriculture in Paris about what the U.S. is doing to help famers adapt to climate change and to reduce carbon emissions.

Actuality: No Single Solution for Agriculture to Handle Climate Change

Broadcast Date: Wed, December 2, 2015

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack telling a session at the Paris climate change meetings that it's clear that it will take a number of approaches to handle possible agricultural problems brought on by climate change.

Building Efforts To Combat Global Hunger

Broadcast Date: Wed, December 2, 2015

The Agriculture Deputy Secretary offers ideas how USDA can continue to build upon its efforts to help improve food security around the world. (Rod Bain and Deputy Secretary Krysta Harden)

Vilsack Introduces American Farmer At EU Ag Outlook Conference

Broadcast Date: Tue, December 1, 2015

The Agriculture Secretary used a forum in Europe to describe US farmers and share American perspectives on agriculture. (Rod Bain and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

Vilsack Visits With European Ag Leaders

Broadcast Date: Mon, November 30, 2015

The Agriculture Secretary is in Belgium visiting with both the European Union Ag Commissioner and European parliament members. (Rod Bain and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

Obama Addresses UN Climate Change Summit

Broadcast Date: Mon, November 30, 2015

The President of the United States is among the world leaders attending and addressing this week's United Nations conference on climate change. (Rod Bain and President Barack Obama)

Share Header

We're looking back on what's happened in 2015. Follow along and give farmers a #HighFive! http://ow.ly/VkypW
Five #conservation stories from 2015 you should read http://ow.ly/Vrnwp  #HighFive

The consequences of climate change know no borders. USDA global food security report: http://ow.ly/VnEz8  #COP21

Without further ado, our top 5 blogs from 2015 as determined by your readership → http://ow.ly/VouUX  #HighFive

Partnering w/ farmers & ranchers to address climate change & food security challenges http://ow.ly/VlBKn

We're tweeting some our #highfive infographics! Take a peek at them all through the years http://ow.ly/Vl7hE

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]