In Case You Missed It... USDA Summer Road Trip

Title: In Case You Missed It... USDA Summer Road Trip

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

In Case You Missed It

USDA Summer Road Trip

ICYMI, here's what happened last week at USDA:

Throughout the month of July, in celebration of our nation’s Independence Day, we’ll take a summer road trip across the U.S. Department of Agriculture. See some of the ways USDA is assisting rural communities to build a stronger America from sea to shining sea.

The first stop on our tour
was USDA’s Consumer Food Safety portfolio to explore the ways USDA works around the clock to ensure you and your families are protected from harmful foodborne illness.

In the coming weeks, we’ll make additional stops at some of our spectacular national forests, visit our nation’s rural communities, and see some of the work USDA is doing to preserve our nation’s lands for the enjoyment of future generations. We’ll also take you inside USDA’s R&D shop, which pumps out science and tech innovations, web portals, and applications for customers around the world.

Be sure to follow #USDARoadTrip this month to find out how in all corners of our nation, we’re working to ensure that we’re building a stronger rural America through partnership, progress and promise.

The Week in Pictures

Food safety tips from our Founding Fathers this 4th of July

Food safety tips from our Founding Fathers this 4th of July

New USDA ‘FoodKeeper’ App: Your New Tool for Smart Food Storage

New USDA ‘FoodKeeper’ App: Your New Tool for Smart Food Storage

Have a food safe summer with these food safety tips

Have a food safe summer with these food safety tips

All images available in Flickr.

On the USDA Blog

Show Us When You Are #GrillingLikeaPRO

Summer is finally here! I can smell those steaks and burgers on the grill already. While grilling outside with our friends and family can be fun, it can also lead to food poisoning. This summer, the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service is reminding Americans everywhere that “Grilling Like a PRO” is the safest and easiest way to grill.

Buckle Up for a #USDARoadTrip

From barbecues to broadband, USDA’s broad portfolio impacts the lives of American families everywhere. This month, in celebration of our nation’s Independence Day, we’ll take a summer road trip across the U.S. Department of Agriculture and see some of the ways USDA is assisting rural communities to build a stronger America from sea to shining sea.

New USDA ‘FoodKeeper’ App: Your New Tool for Smart Food Storage

How many times have you gone into your pantry or refrigerator, only to find that what you were going to use in your meal was spoiled? The USDA, Cornell University and the Food Marketing Institute would like to help you avoid that problem in the future with our new application, the FoodKeeper.

Tapping into the Economic Potential of Local Food Through Local Foods, Local Places

At USDA, we understand the enormous market potential of local food. Industry estimates suggest that local food sales in America have nearly doubled in recent years, jumping from $5 billion in 2008 to $11.7 billion in 2014. We’ve invested more than $800 million in 29,100 local and regional food businesses and infrastructure projects over the past six years to help farmers, ranchers and rural businesses tap into that market.

USDA TV

USDA Week in Review - July 3, 2015

USDA Week in Review - July 3, 2015

Read about us in the News

Communities Get A Lift As Local Food Sales Surge To $11 Billion A Year (NPR)

There's a renaissance in local and regional food, and it's not just farmers markets in urban areas that are driving it. On this map, the U.S. Department of Agriculture pinpoints more than 4,000 local and regional food businesses and projects — from food hubs to farm-to-school programs to initiatives to expand healthy food access to low-income communities — in every state around the country.

Kentucky leads nation in federal funding for local food, Vilsack says
(Lexington Herald Leader)

The local food movement isn't just for chefs: It's moved beyond niche and into schools, groceries, local restaurants of all sizes and even into food stamps. Last year, local food sales topped $11.7 billion, according to the USDA, which has invested more than $800 million into local food businesses and infrastructure in the last six years. Kentucky leads the nation in participation in federally funded local food projects, with 1,659 projects including high tunnels that extend the growing season, microloans for smaller farmers, and direct funding for food hubs, farmers' markets and other local food enterprises.

You Too Can Grill Like A Pro When You Follow Food Safety for Summer Time Grilling
(Sierra Sun Times)

Calling all grill masters! With just four more days to go until the 4th of July holiday, you’re probably looking forward to enjoying a star-spangled BBQ with friends and family. But remember, grilling outdoors can sometimes lead to unwanted food poisoning

Communities Get A Lift As Local Food Sales Surge To $11 Billion A Year (NPR)

There's a renaissance in local and regional food, and it's not just farmers markets in urban areas that are driving it. On this map, the U.S. Department of Agriculture pinpoints more than 4,000 local and regional food businesses and projects — from food hubs to farm-to-school programs to initiatives to expand healthy food access to low-income communities — in every state around the country.

Listen

SOME BIG FOUTH OF JULY OUTDOOR GRILLING MISTAKES

Broadcast Date:

Wed, July 1, 2015

One expert says the biggest mistakes we outdoor barbecuers will make this Fourth of July weekend won't even revolve around the actual grilling process. (Gary Crawford and Marianne Gravely)

FOOD SAFETY PLANNING FOR THAT FOURTH OF JULY PICNIC

Broadcast Date:

Tue, June 30, 2015

One expert says we need to think about food safety when we are planning that holiday weekend picnic. (Gary Crawford and Tina Hanes)

Share

Buckle up: It's a #USDARoadTrip! http://t.co/KzuYRp6dQo pic.twitter.com/2YkRZ4tNCL

— Dept. of Agriculture (@USDA) July 1, 2015

We’re using #USDARoadtrip to take you on a USDA tour across the country. 1st stop: #foodsafety http://t.co/Y6fGkanjLJ pic.twitter.com/l9lZiyqTKm

— Dept. of Agriculture (@USDA) July 2, 2015

This #4thofJuly, stay food safe by showing us you're #GrillingLikeaPRO http://t.co/MlJmgNfPrB #USDARoadTrip pic.twitter.com/7PTQXz8qI2

— Dept. of Agriculture (@USDA) July 2, 2015

If you’re #GrillingLikeaPRO drown & stir your briquettes till they’re cold. Never leave a hot grill. #SmokeyBearHug http://t.co/bGS2R9dd7C

— Smokey Bear (@smokey_bear) July 1, 2015

Clean, Separate, Cook, Chill: 4 steps from our Founding Fathers to keep you food safe this #4thofJuly. #USDAroadtrip pic.twitter.com/szg8KNrRAM

— Dept. of Agriculture (@USDA) July 2, 2015

Important to remember #foodsafety when you grill this #4thofJuly. We have the tips to help you #GrillLikeAPROhttp://t.co/84bP6UmYIu

— Sylvia Burwell (@SecBurwell) July 1, 2015

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]