Media Advisory: USDA Chief Scientist Dr. Catherine Woteki to Host Virtual Office Hours As Part of Back-to-School Initiative

Title: Media Advisory: USDA Chief Scientist Dr. Catherine Woteki to Host Virtual Office Hours As Part of Back-to-School Initiative

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Header Media Advisory

You are subscribed to USDA Office of Communications.

Media Advisory No. 0065.13

Contact:
Justice Wright (202) 720-4110

USDA Chief Scientist Dr. Catherine Woteki to Host
Virtual Office Hours As Part of Back-to-School Initiative

WASHINGTON, August 23, 2013— USDA’s Research, Education, and Economics (REE) mission area has been committed to attracting the best minds to agricultural science to help us meet our agricultural challenges ahead. Through youth development programs such as 4-H and higher education programs like the Higher Education Challenge Grants Program, REE emphasizes the importance of knowledge and skills in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) subjects.

TODAY, USDA Chief Scientist and Under Secretary for Research, Education, and Economics Dr. Catherine Woteki will host a live Virtual Office Hours session on Twitter to answer your questions about what USDA is doing to make sure we are keeping the pipeline filled with promising students.

As part of USDA’s focus on STEM education, Dr. Woteki will answer your agricultural research and STEM-related questions live on Twitter, such as:

  • Why do we need more students to study STEM subjects?
  • What career opportunities are available to me with agricultural science degrees?
  • What is USDA doing to help students that are interested in studying agricultural science?
  • How do I encourage my child to study STEM subjects?

Submit your STEM- related questions in advance to the @ScienceAtUSDA Twitter account using the hashtag #studyagscience.

TODAY

2:00 p.m. EDT

WHAT:          Dr. Catherine Woteki, USDA Chief Scientist and Under Secretary for Research, Education, and Economics Dr. Catherine Woteki will host a live Virtual Office Hours session on Twitter. The discussion will be on what USDA is doing to educate our next generation of innovators if we want to continue to lead the world in agriculture.

WHERE:       Join the conversation online by following @ScienceAtUSDA and using #studyagscience.

#

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]