New USDA TV Feature October 16, 2012: USDA Helps Young Innovators

Title: New USDA TV Feature October 16, 2012: USDA Helps Young Innovators

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

USDA Helps Young Innovators

A new TV feature is available on the USDA FTP site. The new TV feature can also be seen on USDA's YouTube channel and seen and downloaded as a video podcast.

FTP Download instructions:

 The host: ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com

  User name: usdanews

Password:  Newscontent1

Filename for TV Feature: lego award feature

   The new file is in QuickTime Movie (H.264 )

YouTube: lego awards

video podcast: lego awards iTunes

RSS Page: lego awards RSS

    Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.

Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – USDA Helps Young Innovators

INTRO: USDA assisted young students involved in a competition to find new ways to prevent food borne illness. The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more. (1:48)

FOOD SAFETY WAS THE GOAL FOR YOUNG INVENTORS IN THIS YEAR’S FIRST LEGO LEAGUE AWARD CEREMONY. TEAMS COMPETED TO DESIGN INVENTIONS TO HELP PEOPLE AVOID FOOD BORNE ILLNESS. THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE’S FOOD SAFETY AND INSPECTION SERVICE HELPED BY PROVIDING FOOD SAFETY INFORMATION TO THE TEAMS.

Nadine Shaw, USDA FSIS: So we reached out to several teams in the area, we invited to come tour the Food Safety Discovery Zone, so their projects could move forward within the competition and also give them the right information.

F-S-I-S BROUGHT THE MOBILE FOOD SAFETY DISCOVERY ZONE TO THE AWARDS CEREMONY JUST OUTSIDE OF WASHINGTON D-C TO TEACH THE PUBLIC ABOUT FOOD SAFETY.

Mary Harris, USDA FSIS: We’re out teaching consumers the four basic messages of Clean, Separate, Cook, and Chill. I’m excited for the Discovery Zone to be a part of this whole competition, because I think this is another way of reaching out to consumers and educating them on the importance of food safety.

TWO TEAMS TIED FOR THE AWARD. S-I-S ROBOTIC REVOLUTION INVENTED A STICKER SHOWING WHEN PACKAGED FOOD REACHES AN UNSAFE TEMPERATURE. THEY WERE INSPIRED BY NATURAL DISASTERS THAT CAUSED POWER OUTAGES.

Team SIS Robotic Revolution: So people would come home after being away for a couple of days and not know what food was good and what was bad.

TEAM MODERATELY CONFUSED INVENTED AN ERASABLE BARCODE THAT CHANGED WHEN FOOD REACHED AN UNSAFE TEMPERATURE. THEY WERE INSPIRED BY A MEAT SHIPMENT THAT GOT STUCK IN TRANSIT.

Team Moderately Confused: So they come to inspect the meat but they don’t know if the meat is safe or not, so they decide not to sell it. But if they did sell it who knows what could have happened.

THE TWO TEAMS EACH WON A TWO HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR INVESTMENT TO DEVELOP THEIR IDEAS. IN WASHINGTON D-C FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, I’M BOB ELLISON.

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]