New USDA TV Feature August 29, 2012: School Meal Changes For New School Year

Title: New USDA TV Feature August 29, 2012: School Meal Changes For New School Year

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

School Meal Changes For New School Year

A new TV feature is available on the USDA FTP site. The new TV feature can also be seen on USDA's YouTube channel and seen and downloaded as a video podcast.

FTP Download instructions:

 The host: ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com

  User name: usdanews

Password:  Newscontent1

Filename for TV Feature: back to school food

The new file is in QuickTime Movie (H.264 )

YouTube: back to school food

video podcastback to school food iTunes

 RSS Page: back to school food RSS

   Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.

Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – SCHOOL MEAL CHANGES FOR NEW SCHOOL YEAR

INTRO: Healthier school meals to improve childhood health is a U-S Department of Agriculture goal for the new school year. The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more. (1:44)

FOOD SERVED TO STUDENTS ACROSS THE NATION SHOULD BE HEALTHIER THIS SCHOOL YEAR. U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE OFFICIALS SAY THE NEW HEALTHY HUNGER FREE KIDS ACT REQUIRES THAT THE ENTIRE SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT SUPPORTS A HEALTHY DIET.

Audrey Rowe, Administrator, USDA Food and Nutrition Service: So what’s in the vending machines, what is sold in the cafeteria, all of that will reflect the guidelines and will create for children when they walk in the door in the morning until the time that they leave in the afternoon, a healthy food environment.

Kevin Concannon, USDA Under Secretary for Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Services: School meals that are served to thirty two million American children at noon time are going to feature every school day of the week, fruits and vegetables every day. That’s a change and an improvement. Healthier dairy; lower fat dairy. More water. Water guaranteed to every school child. More whole grains in terms of the breads that are served.

ROWE SAYS U-S-D-A WANTS PARENTS TO HAVE CONFIDENCE THAT SCHOOL CAFETERIAS CAN PROVIDE STUDENTS WITH A NUTRITIOUS DIET.

Rowe: It could make a very significant impact in participation in the cafeteria. We want children to eat in the cafeteria. We now want parents who are packing school lunches to look at the cafeteria as a really healthy alternative for their students.

CONCANNON SAYS LOCALLY GROWN FOOD WILL BE A MAJOR FOCUS OF U-S-D-A’S EFFORT TO MAKE MORE FRESH FOOD AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS.

Concannon: We’ve been encouraging more schools to procure their foods locally, or at least a portion of the schools, that serve to the thirty million American children who participate in our national school lunch program.

FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, I’M BOB ELLISON.

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]