New USDA TV Feature June 7, 2011: New MyPlate Food Guidelines Unveiled At USDA

Title: New USDA TV Feature June 7, 2011: New MyPlate Food Guidelines Unveiled At USDA

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

New MyPlate Food Guidelines Unveiled At USDA

USDA’s new MyPlate healthy eating guidelines were presented as ways to help make the U.S. healthier and stronger

YouTube:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgeS6VcdIVI

Windows:    mms://ocbmtcwmp.usda.gov/content/bmtc/vnr/myplateCAP.wmv  ï

 A new TV feature is available on the USDA FTP site

Filename: my plate feature

 Download instructions:

 The host: ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com

  User name: usdanews

Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie (H.264 ), MPEG 4, MPEG2 and HDV.

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.

Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – NEW MY PLATE FOOD GUIDELINES UNVEILED AT USDA

INTRO: U-S-D-A’s new my plate healthy eating guidelines were presented as ways to help make the U-S healthier and stronger. The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more. (1:39)

FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA HELPED AGRICULTURE SECRETARY TOM VILSACK UNVEIL THE NEW MY PLATE ICON, WHICH IS DESIGNED TO HELP AMERICANS MAKE BETTER FOOD CHOICES.

First Lady Michelle Obama: This is a quick, simple reminder for all of us to be more mindful of the foods that we’re eating. And as a mom, I can already tell you how much this is going to help parents all across the country.

AT A POST EVENT PRESS CONFERENCE VILSACK SAID MY PLATE IS NOT A MANDATE BUT A GUIDE.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack: We’re suggesting that there is a healthy, balanced opportunity here and this is what a healthy, balanced opportunity looks like. We’re not suggesting that they should not ever have a cookie or a treat or dessert or whatever. This is not what this is about and it’s unfortunate that people want to make it about that. What this is about is a nation that has an obesity issue. A third of our kids are obese or at risk of being obese. The percentages of adults who face chronic disease as a result of obesity are significant. The costs associated with obesity are enormous.

AND ONE COST IS THE UNDERMINING OF OUR MILITARY ACCORDING TO A RETIRED AIR FORCE LIEUTENTANT GENERAL.

Lieutenant General Norman R. Seip, US Air Force (Ret.): Today, nine million seventeen to twenty four year olds cannot join the military simply because they are overweight to the tune of two hundred seventy million pounds. It’s not about tanks, it’s not about airplanes, it’s not about ships. It’s about the young men and women who so proudly serve. We need to set up our next generation to be successful so that someday they may be called America’s greatest generation.

FOR MORE MY PLATE INFORMATION GO TO CHOOSE MY PLATE DOT GOV. IN WASHINGTON D-C FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE I’M BOB ELLISON.

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]