USDA and EPA Leadership to Visit California to Highlight the Work of America's Farmers and Ranchers in Protecting our Nation's Natural Resources

Media Advisory No. 4237.10 Contact:
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-4623

USDA and EPA Leadership to Visit California to Highlight the Work of America’s Farmers and Ranchers in Protecting our Nation’s Natural Resources

WASHINGTON, Sept. 20, 2010 – Agriculture Deputy Secretary Kathleen Merrigan and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe will visit California to see and discuss efforts by farmers and ranchers to protect our nation’s natural resources. Merrigan and Perciasepe will tour several farms and meet with farmers and ranchers across the Central Valley.

This week, farms across America begin their annual harvest. American agriculture serves as the foundation for our food, feed, fiber, and fuel, and our agricultural producers help preserve our environment and drive our national economy. American agriculture is responsible for one out of every 12 jobs and has enjoyed a trade surplus for nearly 50 years with this year’s surplus expected to exceed $30 billion dollars.

Monday, Sept. 20, 2010
3:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.

What:
Agriculture Deputy Secretary Merrigan and Environmental Protection Agency Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe will visit the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area to highlight the simultaneous implementation and management of long-term conservation and wildlife practices and protections and agricultural production opportunities.

Where:
Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area
45211 Chiles Road
Davis, Calif. 95618

Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2010
8:30 a.m.-9:45 a.m.

What:
Agriculture Deputy Secretary Merrigan and Environmental Protection Agency Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe will tour the Cosumnes River Wetlands Reserve to highlight the opportunities for private landowners to restore, protect, and enhance wetlands in exchange for retiring eligible land from agriculture.

Where:
Cosumnes River Wetlands Reserve
13501 Franklin Blvd.
Galt, Calif. 95632

10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.

What:
PHOTO and B-ROLL ONLY: Agriculture Deputy Secretary Merrigan and Environmental Protection Agency Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe will tour the Castelanelli Dairy anaerobic digester and power plant to highlight the economic opportunities available to farmers and ranchers in reducing animal waste and potential water quality impacts through the production of clean bioenergy.

Where:
Castelanelli Dairy
401 W. Armstrong Road
Lodi, Calif. 95242

12:15p.m. – 1:00 p.m.

What:
Agriculture Deputy Secretary Merrigan and Environmental Protection Agency Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe will tour the farm of Dino Del Carlo to highlight conservation practices that reduce air pollution and to promote the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) for conservation efforts.

Where:
Dino Del Carlo Farm
6717 Stark Road
Stockton, Calif. 95206

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]