CORRECTION -New USDA TV Feature September 16, 2010-USDA Hosts New Zealand and Australian Farmers

Contact:Bob Ellison
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-4623

USDA Hosts New Zealand And Australian Farmers

Down Under came to the Lone Star State to learn how farmers and ranchers run their operations.

 YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIvpAo-XEDk
A new feature is available on the USDA FTP site
Filename: nuffield feature
Download instructions:
The host:  ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com.
User name: usdanews
Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie(H.264 fullscreen, crop and letterbox), MPEG 4(fullscreen, crop and letterbox), and MPEG 4 (low res).

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.
Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – USDA HOSTS NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIAN FARMERS

INTRO:  Down Under came to the Lone Star State to learn how farmers and ranchers run their operations. The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more.  (1:40)

A GROUP OF FARMERS AND RANCHERS FROM NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIA CAME TO WEST TEXAS TO SEE HOW AMERICAN PRODUCERS RAN THEIR OPERATIONS. THE NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIAN FARMERS ARE NUFFIELD SCHOLARS WHO ARE SPONSORED TO VISIT FARMS AND RANCHES IN FOREIGN NATIONS. THIS GROUP WAS HOSTED BY THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE’S NATURAL RESOURCES CONSERVATION SERVICE.

Paul McGill, New Zealand Farmer: It’s giving us an overview of global systems and it’s just interesting to see that producers everywhere are under the same pressures.

Harry Dewit, TX Dairy Farmer: It’s just good to interact with other people in dairying as well and in other industries, just to see what their take is on ag in a different part of the world than just in our area up here.

Don Gohmert, USDA NRCS: It’s been really a successful event for them because they have been able to talk to the successful farmers here, whether it’s a cotton farmer or a dairy farmer, cattle operations or whatever and they could talk about the commonalities, similar problems and challenges.

THE VISITING PRODUCERS WERE STRUCK BY THE SIZE OF THE OPERATIONS THEY VISITED.

Desiree Reid. New Zealand Dairy Farmer: I guess the difference was the number of cows that they are putting through that rotary, we would have say a thousand cows or maybe twelve hundred cows going through a shed like that. Four and a half thousand was mind blowing.

Edward Cox, Australian Dairy Farmer: Our milking parlor is worth the same amount of money for a similar investment. We’re only using it maybe seven or eight hours a day, whereas in America they’re probably utilizing that capital better, than it might be working twenty hours a day.

THE NUFFIELD SCHOLARSHIP WAS STARTED IN NINETEEN FORTY SEVEN TO HELP BRITISH SUBJECTS LEARN THE BEST AGRICULTURE PRACTICES AROUND THE WORLD. FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE I’M BOB ELLISON.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]