FW: Vilsack: Unlikely Partnership for Our Clean Energy Future

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/jul/12/ED-VILSACK12-ar-288142/

Published: July 12, 2010

Vilsack: Unlikely Partnership for Our Clean Energy Future

By TOM VILSACK

WASHINGTON When President Obama was sworn into office, he made a commitment to moving America toward a new energy future and building a 21st-century clean energy economy. The tragedy of Deepwater Horizon -- which continues to unfold each day and will have a lasting impact over many years -- shows us the worst possible result of America's dependence on oil. The tremendous economic and environmental costs of the Gulf oil spill make more apparent than ever the need to make the president's vision a reality.

America can no longer rely on energy sources that are growing increasingly difficult to find and utilize. We cannot accept an energy future that allows oil producers, whether they are controlled by a foreign state or a corporate board, to dictate how we will power our country. We must take back control of our energy security and energy independence. The costs of maintaining the status quo are too high.

At the same time, a failure to embrace renewable energy represents a lost economic opportunity for the nation, particularly for rural America. Our farms, forests, fields, and oceans are a wellspring of clean energy resources just waiting to be tapped. As we work to utilize alternative energy sources like biofuels, woody biomass, and anaerobic digesters, farmers and ranchers can benefit from new markets for bioenergy crops and agricultural byproducts -- including those produced on land that is marginal for production of traditional crops. Biofuel facilities will provide permanent, good-paying jobs in small towns and bolster rural economies. As we increase energy production from wind, solar, and geothermal sources, demand for equipment such as wind turbines and solar panels will spur the return of manufacturing jobs to America.

By pursuing these innovative technologies, we can strengthen our rural communities and create good jobs that can't be exported.

Our reliance on oil also has national security implications. For the military, over-dependence on oil equates to strategic and tactical vulnerabilities. A large percentage of the global oil supply comes from volatile areas of the world. We would never let the military procure weapons systems from these places; that would represent a clear national security risk. But, as some of our nation's top military thinkers have argued, by accepting the status quo, we allow these same places a vote in whether our ships sail, our aircraft fly, or our vehicles run.

It is for these reasons that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) formed a partnership with the Department of the Navy to invest in research and development of renewable energy solutions -- especially advanced biofuels -- that meet the Navy's needs.

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus has set ambitious energy goals for his department, mandating that by 2020, the Navy and Marine Corps meet 50 percent of all their energy needs using alternative fuels, including biofuels. By working together to apply USDA's technical and research capacity to the regular energy demands of the Navy, we are creating demand and infrastructure for a sustainable renewable energy market. And we are working as federal partners to realize the president's vision of an American-built clean energy economy.

If we are successful in our efforts, the Navy will be less dependent on foreign supplies of fossil fuel and American agricultural producers will see an increase in demand for their products and will have the satisfaction of knowing that they are doing good for the nation while improving their bottom lines.

USDA was been working toward President Obama's energy goals since his first days in office. At the president's direction, we moved quickly to expedite Farm Bill provisions to develop renewable energy, and focused our research efforts on advanced biofuels processes and feedstocks. And we are working alongside other federal partners to accelerate production and commercialization of a wide range of clean energy sources with a focus on biofuels.

But our collaboration with the Navy and other federal partners will not be enough. Obama has called on Congress to pass comprehensive climate and energy legislation to make clean energy the profitable kind of energy for America's businesses. By passing a bill that works toward a new energy economy, we are choosing to learn from the Deepwater Horizon tragedy. We are choosing to invest in American science, American ingenuity, and American farmers to meet and overcome the global economic, security, and energy challenges that confront us.

Tom Vilsack is the U.S. secretary of agriculture. Contact him at (202) 720-2791.

Justin DeJong
Press Secretary
USDA Office of Communications
1400 Independence Ave, SW, Room 403A
Washington, DC 20250
202-690-0548
202-251-3309 (cell)
justin.dejong@xxxxxxxx

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]