USDA Statement: By Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns Regarding the Resumption Of Beef Trade With China

Click to View: http://www.usda.gov/2006/06/0231.xml

Release No. 0231.06
Contact:
Ed Loyd (202) 720-4623

Statement By Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns Regarding the Resumption Of Beef Trade With China - Geneva, Switzerland

June 30, 2006

 "While we appreciate China's efforts since April to resume market access for U.S. beef, we are disappointed with China's announcement today of a limited market opening that only includes U.S. boneless beef under 30 months of age. At the April meeting of the Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade in Washington, China agreed to reopen its market to U.S. beef by June 30 following the development of a science-based trading protocol, consistent with World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) guidelines.

 "We have fully described the numerous safeguards in our system, answered many questions and delivered an abundance of factual, science-based assurances that U.S. beef is safe.

"It's time for China to open its market to all U.S. beef products, in accordance with the international standards established by the OIE.  We will not be satisfied until a full range of U.S. beef products are once again accepted into the Chinese market. These are the very same products that Americans and many consumers in nations across the globe safely enjoy every day.  We stand ready to continue our technical discussions with China to finalize a protocol based on international scientific guidelines, which we hope will result in a significant market opening in the coming weeks."

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623