USDA Release: JOHANNS ANNOUNCES APPOINTMENT OF ANNABELLE ROMERO AS DEPUTY ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR CIVIL RIGHTS

Link: http://www.usda.gov/2005/08/0328.xml

Release No. 0328.05

Kristin Scuderi (202) 720-4623

JOHANNS ANNOUNCES APPOINTMENT OF ANNABELLE ROMERO AS DEPUTY ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR CIVIL RIGHTS

LAS CRUCES, N.M., August 26, 2005 - Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns announced the appointment of New Mexico native Annabelle Romero as Deputy Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights at the Farm Bill Forum in Las Cruces, New Mexico today.

"Annabelle Romero shares my deep commitment to ensure USDA programs and services can be equally accessed by all Americans," said Johanns. "I'm delighted that she will serve in this important role as her diverse background and knowledge of USDA will help strengthen our ability to meet the needs of everyone we serve."

As deputy assistant secretary, Romero will serve as the principal advisor to Assistant Secretary Vernon Parker for Civil Rights on policy and coordinating the program activities of the Office of Civil Rights.  She will also serve as liaison to the seven USDA mission areas.

Since June 2003, Romero has served as USDA's Director of Native American Programs, leading the ongoing consultations with Tribal Nations to ensure USDA's wide range of programs are available to American Indians and Alaska Natives across the country. Romero began her tenure at USDA in April of 2002 as Special Assistant to former Assistant Secretary for Administration Lou Gallegos.  In this position she worked closely with minority groups.

Prior to coming to USDA, Romero served at the White House as Director of White House Personnel, where she managed the staffing needs of the White House Office, Office of the Vice President and Office of Policy Development.  Romero has a record of strong management skills with more than 20 years in the public and private sectors including staff positions with Senator Pete Domenici of New Mexico, Congressman Tom Campbell of California and Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas.

Romero is a native of Belen, New Mexico but now resides in Churchton, Maryland with her husband Stuart.

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623