USDA Release: JOHANNS ANNOUNCES TRAVEL TO CHINA AND AFRICA

Click to view: http://www.usda.gov/2005/07/0249.xml

Release No. 0249.05

Contact:
Terri Teuber (202) 720-4623
Linda Habenstreit (202) 720-9442

JOHANNS ANNOUNCES TRAVEL TO CHINA AND AFRICA

Discussions To Focus on Expanding Agricultural Trade and Development

WASHINGTON, July 9, 2005 - Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns will travel to China and Africa July 9-21 for multilateral and bilateral meetings on agricultural trade and development. Johanns will periodically post a travel log to the USDA website to record his impressions, experience and progress from meetings with foreign leaders.

"When I became Secretary of Agriculture, I pledged to be an advocate at the negotiating table for America's farmers and ranchers," said Johanns.  "This trip presents important venues to expand market access available to U.S. farm products by enhancing our economic ties with trading partners across the globe."

While in China, Johanns will participate in the July 11 meeting of the U.S.-China Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade (JCCT) in Beijing, along with  U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez.  The JCCT serves as an important forum for Cabinet-level officials from both countries to resolve trade concerns and enhance economic opportunities and cooperation.

Johanns will then travel with U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman to Dalian, China to meet with approximately 30 trade ministers from World Trade Organization (WTO) member nations to advance negotiations toward a successful multilateral trade agreement at the WTO Ministerial in Hong Kong this December.  Johanns will also use the meeting as an opportunity to meet with counterparts from Japan and South Korea to discuss reopening their markets to U.S. beef and other issues.

Since accession to the WTO in December 2001, China has become one of the most rapidly growing markets for U.S. agricultural export's, with exports tripling from $1.7 billion to  $6.1 billion in 2004.  Today, China is the fifth largest market for U.S. agriculture exports, and the largest for soybeans, cotton, hides and skins.  China's continued economic growth has the potential to drive a continued demand for U.S. agricultural products, emphasizing the importance of ensuring U.S. market access by removing trade barriers.

In Africa, Johanns will travel to Antananarivo, Madagascar July 14 to July 16 to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with Harison Randriarimanana, Madagascar's Minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries that will lay the groundwork for cooperative activities between the United States and Madagascar.  Madagascar is the first Millennium Challenge Corporation Recipient Country.  Johanns will be the first cabinet member to visit the island nation off the eastern coast of Africa and will be meeting with President Marc Ravolomanana to further enhance U.S. economic ties with Madagascar.

>From Madagascar, Johanns will travel to Dakar, Senegal, to lead the U.S. delegation at the fourth U.S.-Sub-Saharan Africa Trade and Economic Cooperation Forum (AGOA), July 18 to July 20.  The AGOA Forum will bring together U.S. officials, government ministers from the 37 AGOA-eligible countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and hundreds of U.S. and African business and civil society stakeholders to enhance political and economic ties.  The theme for the forum is "Expanding and Diversifying Trade To Promote Growth and Competitiveness."

AGOA provides trade preferences and technical assistance to countries that are setting an important example on the African continent by progress in economic, legal and human rights reforms.  By building stronger trade partnerships between businesses in the United States and Sub-Saharan African countries, AGOA demonstrates that governments that encourage development are more likely to achieve political stability and economic growth.

For updates on Johanns' trip to China and Africa, go to the USDA website at http://www.usda.gov, where a link to the Secretary's travel log will be featured, along with photos and news releases.

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx