USDA Release: JOHANNS ANNOUNCES APPOINTMENT OF CHRISTOPHER SMITH AS DIRECTOR OF EXTERNAL AND INTERGOVERNMENTAL AFF

Click to View: http://www.usda.gov/2005/07/0239.xml

Release No. 0239.05
Contact:
Ed Loyd (202) 720-4623

JOHANNS ANNOUNCES APPOINTMENT OF CHRISTOPHER SMITH AS DIRECTOR OF EXTERNAL AND INTERGOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS

WASHINGTON, July 6, 2005- Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced that he has named Christopher B. Smith director of the newly formed Office of External and Intergovernmental Affairs.

"Christopher's experience in agriculture and environmental issues will continue to make a real difference here at USDA," said Johanns. "I look forward to his leadership in communicating with all of our stakeholders as we continue work to help America's farmers and ranchers succeed through expanded trade opportunities, rural economic development and the upcoming farm bill."

Smith recently served as an associate director for the White House Office of Public Liaison where he was responsible for coordinating national organizations and public interest groups to advance President Bush's policies regarding agriculture, trade, energy, environment and sportsmen-related issues.

Prior to joining the White House, Smith was USDA's congressional liaison for Marketing and Regulatory Programs. From 1997-2000, he served as district director for the late Sen. Paul D. Coverdell (R-GA).

Smith is a native of Lilburn, Georgia and has a B.A. in Journalism from Georgia State University.

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623