Re: barebox on EFI bios and secure boot

Hello Giorgio,

On 08.08.24 11:45, giorgio.nicole@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> I use barebox to boot a linux kernel on an Intel atom based PC with an EFI bios and this just works.
>
> Now I wanted to configure the bios to enable the secure boot mode: this means I tried to write some
> EFI variables (db, dbx, KEK, PK); for this I used the efitools utils (efi-updatevar for example) but it didn't
> worked: I always get an 'Invalid argument' error.

In this case, neither barebox or the kernel are signed, right?

> After some unsuccessful tries I booted the linux kernel directly from the bios, without barebox and in this
> case the efi-updatevar tool worked as expected; so I suppose that starting barebox has some kind of effect
> on the persistent store for the efi vars.

I am not familiar with UEFI secure boot, so I don't know if there is some lock
down happening here or what could cause this.

Some things to try:

 - Are other variables writable?
 - Can you write this variable from barebox? wecho -o /efivars/your-variable
   or memcpy -d /efivars/some-variable

> Does anyone have similar issues or a suggestion about what can be checked to fix this ???

Christian (CC'd) mentioned a while ago that he had a secure booting UEFI system.
I asked him on IRC and he mentioned using lockdown.efi for lock down back then.

Hope this helps and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Ahmad