Re: Howto implement bootchooser <-> rauc interaction

Dear Trent,

thank you so much for this comprehensive clarification.

On 2021-12-03 18:52, Trent Piepho wrote:

You should add a node of "barebox,state" to the *Barebox* device tree.

I will try to prepare a proper device tree.
It was this special tiny detail:

must have state node ALSO in the Linux device tree.  But you do not
need to add it manually!  Barebox will automatically inject the state

What I was not aware of, yet! I think I got the point now.

For this to work, you need to have Barebox give the kernel the Linux
device tree when booting.  This is the normal way to boot now.  All
current docs tell you to do this.  There was a much older style where
the dtb was appended to the kernel image and the kernel found it
itself without involving the bootloader.  I assume this will not work,
but I think Barebox state did not exist when I last booted a system
this way, so I haven't tried.

Yes, no problem, I stumpled upon the combined image+dtb thingy once in our but the new stuff I am working upon is barebox passing the dtb to the kernel.

Thanks also for explaining the possibilities and requirements,
I will figure a nice way to do this on my Beaglebone Black now.

Kind Regards
Konstantin