Porting Clause 45 PHY support to Barebox

I'd like to port Clause 45 PHY support and more recent Linux phylib
extensions to Barebox. Ideally it should be possible later to apply
most Linux patches as-is on Barebox. Before I start two questions:

- Any guidelines what it typically takes to port Linux Kernel code
  to Barebox? (I suppose at least removing mutexes + spinlocks, changing
  all interrupts to polling)
- Especially regarding drivers/net/phy: any plans I should be aware of?

Heiner