Re: Designware MAC reset timeout after Linux reboot

On 08/11/16 08:08, Sascha Hauer wrote:
Hi Ian,

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 05:56:51PM +0000, Ian Abbott wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm using barebox 2016.10.0 with some custom BSP patches for my Cyclone V
socfpga based board.  I've noticed that after issuing a reboot in Linux,
followed by an 'ifup eth0' command in barebox, I get a "eth0: MAC reset
timeout" error, which causes dwc_ether_init() to bail out early. My Linux
kernel is Linux 4.1.17, plus LTSI-4.1.17 patches, plus Altera patches from
linux-socfpga kernel branch socfpga-4.1.22-ltsi, in that order (git rebase
is a wonderful thing!).

Socfpga has two Ethernet MAC controllers.  Like several other Cyclone V
boards, my board's device tree disables the first one (&gmac0) and aliases
ethernet0 to the second one (&gmac1).

I don't need the ethernet to work to boot Linux, and Linux manages to
reinitialize the ethernet okay, so it's more of a inconvenience to me than a
show-stopper - I just need to power-cycle the board if I want ethernet
access in barebox.

Have you searched in the Linux code what it does differently so that it
can successfully reset the MAC?

The Linux code paths are more convoluted, including calls into the reset manager. I found the code that resets the MAC DMA controller though - see below....

I am aware of Trent Piepho's patch (commit
f0ae0c33f52ced89da080673ca89a3c5f2ea70e6) which brings the PHY out of
power-down mode before resetting the MAC DMA controller.  In fact, the PHY
doesn't seem to be in power-down mode in my case, as the value read from the
MII_BMCR in phy_resume() is 0x1140 (BMCR_ANENABLE | BMCR_FULLDPLX |
BMCR_SPEED1000).

There must be something else stopping the software reset of the MAC
completing successfully, but I'm not sure what.  The Cyclone V Hard
Processor System Technical Reference Manual says this about the MAC DMA
software reset bit:

| Note: * The Software reset system is driven only by this bit. *
| The reset operation is completed only when all resets in all
| active clock domains are de-asserted. Therefore, it is
| essential that all the PHY inputs clocks (applicable for the
| selected PHY interface) are present for the software reset
| completion.

Perhaps the timeout isn't waiting long enough.  If I interrupt the 'ifup
eth0' command and display the approriate 'Bus_Mode' register (0xff703000)
with the 'md' command, the DMAMAC_SRST bit (bit 0) is no longer set:

barebox@xxxx:/ md -l 0xff703000+4
ff703000: 00020100

The timeout is 10ms, this should be way enough. The return value of
dwc_ether_init() is not checked, so the driver happily continues with
further register writes, I assume there must be something that clears
this bit afterwards, either directly or indirectly.

The bit is supposed to clear itself, but I guess something else could be clearing it too.

The code to reset the MAC DMA controller in Linux kernel 4.1 is dwmac1000_dma_init() in "drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac1000_dma.c". In Linux kernel 4.6, the function is dwmac_dma_reset() in "dwmac_lib.c". In both cases, the code to reset the DMA controller is basically as follows:

	u32 value = readl(ioaddr + DMA_BUS_MODE);
	int limit;

	/* DMA SW reset */
	value |= DMA_BUS_MODE_SFT_RESET;
	writel(value, ioaddr + DMA_BUS_MODE);
	limit = 10;
	while (limit--) {
		if (!(readl(ioaddr + DMA_BUS_MODE) & DMA_BUS_MODE_SFT_RESET))
			break;
		mdelay(10);
	}
	if (limit < 0)
		return -EBUSY;

It's interesting that it only bothers to check for reset completion every 10 ms (timing out after 100 ms), so it must be expecting it to take a while!

I'll experiment with the timeout on my board to see if the bit ever clears itself.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti@xxxxxxxxx> )=-
-=(                          Web: http://www.mev.co.uk/  )=-