bareboxenv usage

Hi

I am using bareboxenv on a MLC NAND chip for reading and writing the barebox environment on my imx35 board. Up until now I have been using it with the mtdblock devices and suddenly I noticed I get an error while reading (-l) the env(I/O error). Using bareboxenv with the same partition but in the /dev/mtd form the read works. For some reason I assumed that I need to use the bareboxenv with mtdblock devices.
Question is, what is the CORRECT way to use it on a nand partition?

Thanks,

Boaz.