Re: several messages

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 11:35:48AM -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> > You mean like "s foo.bax"?   (instead of foo.bar)
>
> No, like `/stuff instead of ~/stuff - and remember, I said there were
> large numbers of articles - sometimes several dozen or more...

Not much of consolation for you, but at least you can alleviate the pain
by letting trn know in advance whether you prefer mailbox or normal file
format for saved articles. Invoke trn with option -M or -N, or go to the
Options screen and set Default Savefile Type at the "Save Options" menu to
something different from "ask", and you won't need to press "q" every time
trn asks you for the format of the file.

On Wed, 22 May 2002, David Combs wrote:

> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 11:35:48AM -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
>
> > (the same problem exists when getting into the mode of being asked whether
> > I want to subscribe to new newsgroups - if it turns out that 300 newsgroups
> > were created over night, I'm stuck answering all these prompts).

This also can be alleviated. Hitting "Q" at the "ADD newsgroups" screen
makes trn skip all the newly created newsgroups and go right to your
subscribed groups. You may also either invoke trn with option -q, or
specify "Add Groups = no/manual" in the the ~/.trn/access file for the
appropriate news source entry. I personally use this last setting because
our news server has a Y2K bug that causes it to present all the existing
newsgroups as new.

Another possibility is setting the env variable AUTOUNSUBSCRIBE and/or
AUTOSUBSCRIBE for some patterns of newsgroup names you would/wouldn't want
to subscribe automagically.

If you ever want to check what is new in the full newsgroup list, you can
do it from trn (command "\l [pattern]" at the Newsgroups selection screen)
or by the external program "newsgroups" which is distributed along with
trn. Command "\a [pattern]" brings you back to the "ADD newsgroups" screen
where you can choose newsgroups to add at your will.

> I say "trn -p", and when I get into it, the first
> thing might be a list of newsgroups (newly available
> at my isp) (oh, I use a shell acct), eg 30 new
> groups from M$, *none* of which I care one iota about,
> so I simply hit <return>, and poof, my normal screen
> of subscribed-to groups comes up.

Something that I don't understand. AFAIK, the option -p is for automatic
selection of the user's own postings, isn't it?

> > I'd love to find some way to tell trn, when its asking me a question,
> > 'PLEASE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT NOW and return to the state right
> > before the questions began'

Me too... :(
--
Regards,						|       /^^^\