Re: RHow dead is Trinity and is it worth contributing to?

On Tuesday 02 July 2024 03:17:16 PM (-05:00), deloptes via tde-users wrote:

> Most of us used KDE3. I have used KDE2 first, tried Gnome2 around 2001 and
> went back to KDE2 right before it released KDE3, which was a big
> improvement to KDE2. Since then (2002) I've been using KDE3. I had some
> issues with internationalization, which I fixed after I finished my thesis
> at the university.
> After KDE4 release (Jan.2008) many of us were so disappointed that Timothy
> Pearson decided to start the TDE project together with just a handful of
> other developers and maintainers. The rest of us just followed, because
> there was no way out of the desktop disaster that was imposed to the users
> back then (Suddenly KDE4 was not usable and Gnome was ugly and fragile,
> while KDE3 was left behind). I think one of the reasons was also the
> attitude of the new KDE4 developers.
> Especially in the past few years we observe a growing number of people
> willing and ready to contribute. I think there were about 5-6 contributors > around 2011 and now there are 20-30. It is still not enough to make a big > progress, but my impression is that things are moving forward much faster. > Especially Slavek and Michele deserve a lot of respect for what they have
> been doing all those years.

Me:

Tried Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3, ( Several Times ) and could NEVER for the life of me figure out how to mount my CD ROM

Then I installed Ubuntu 10.10 with Gnome 2, and LOOOOOOOOOVED IT! I hated that, at that time it was killed off for Gnome 3. But, then the MATE project came along later. LOOOVE it too! I'd give up and go back to Windows 7 for awhile then repeat just to see whats changed since I last used KDE / Gnome.
CM
Sent with Vivaldi Mail. Download Vivaldi for free at vivaldi.com