Re: How dead is Trinity and is it worth contributing to?

Hi Riley,
I am one of the main devs.

TL;DR: TDE is here to stay and any contributions will help and will be welcomed.

> I love TDE and want to contribute to it but is it worth it? I've been in the
> devels mailing list for a couple weeks now and there haven't been any new
> messages.
TDE is pretty much alive. We have two regular releases each year and each of them brings some enhancement, bug fixes, new apps and whatever is needed to keep TDE running on modern distros.

The place to be for developers is the TDE Gitea Workspace (TGW): https://mirror.git.trinitydesktop.org/gitea. All code changes go through there and if you "watch" the various repositories, you will have notifications for the various PRs. Alternatively you can see the list of commits at https://www.trinitydesktop.org/patches If you plan to contribute changes, please do so using TGW (user guide at https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/TDE_Gitea_Workspace), I have made you a Contributor so you can create PRs. Don't fork repositories, use branches (see user guide).

> There are many applications I can't find in TGW like kmilo. The Project
> RoadMap on the wiki has a warning of being outdated. Is there a reason
> certain repositories haven't had a non-translation related commit in years?> It seems improvements outside the scope of bug fixes and the migration to
> CMake are stalled indefinitely due to issues with adding support for Qt4? Why
> not drop it and try for Qt5/6 instead?

All the code is in TGW, but some applications are part of bigger repositories like tdelibs or tdebase for example.
The guidelines for TDE developments are (in order of importance):
1. stability: we don't follow the latest eye-catching trend, we want a system that is stable and doesn't force you to relearn all your key shortcuts with every release 2. keeping pace with time: things in distro change all the time, so we want to make sure TDE can keep running when that happens 3. enhancement/new functionality: when possible we improve things or add new applications, but we try not to alienate users (see Windows 8 and the start menu experience or the KDE 4.0 release experience for how NOT to do it.)

QT4/5/6 is not the point. TDE is build on TQt3, but TQt3 is not Qt3. It has evolved and improved overtime and will continue to do so. In a not so distant future we will even drop the 3 from TQt3, it will simply be TQt.

Can the migration to Webkit for HTML rendering be done without Qt4 support? How hard would it be to make a style plugin for Qt5/6? I currently use
gtk-qt-engine-trinity with qt5-gtk2-platformtheme as a workaround but it
would be nice to have reliable, native support.

The main restriction to huge development work is manpower. We are a small team. If more people contributes regularly (and so become Core devs), then we can do more. Any small contribution helps, imagine 100 users providing a single contribution each release: it would be 200 contributions per year.

I don't exactly understand how TQT or the TQT Interface works so I'm sorry if
these are stupid questions.

TQt interface is a thing of the past and will no longer be part of TDE from R14.2.0 onward. We are currently merging it into TQt3 and will soon be removed from the master branch, although it will stay in the r14.1.x branch for all next R14.1.x releases.

Cheers
  Michele