Re: How dead is Trinity and is it worth contributing to?

Anno domini 2024 Sun, 30 Jun 22:47:45 -0700
 Riley Bell via tde-users scripsit:
> I love TDE and want to contribute to it but is it worth it? I've been in the
> devels mailing list for a couple weeks now and there haven't been any new
> messages.

"worth" is what you yourself deem it to be worth :)

> There are many applications I can't find in TGW like kmilo. The Project
> RoadMap on the wiki has a warning of being outdated. Is there a reason
> certain repositories haven't had a non-translation related commit in years?

Most likly they do not needd fixing. If you want functional enhencement, you are welcome to do so.

> It seems improvements outside the scope of bug fixes and the migration to
> CMake are stalled indefinitely due to issues with adding support for Qt4? Why
> not drop it and try for Qt5/6 instead?

Migration to QT4/5/6/whatever will not happen. So no need to bother with that any more.

> Can the migration to Webkit for HTML rendering be done without Qt4 support?

There's nobody with enough time at his hands to make a webkit khtml replacement module. Besides that, the times of "browser mdules in every aplications" (which GTK3 embraces) showed themselfs to be a dead end. Nowadays you just make a web application if you need that kind of thing - and users are capable of using a webbrowser. Well, most users are not capable of using anything but a web browser, but that's a different story :)

> How hard would it be to make a style plugin for Qt5/6? I currently use
> gtk-qt-engine-trinity with qt5-gtk2-platformtheme as a workaround but it
> would be nice to have reliable, native support.

For what purpose? If iyou want it and are willing to do it, please go on and do so. Speaking for myself: I prefer use as little QT4/5/6+GTK3 as possible - i's always gettng in my way.

> I don't exactly understand how TQT or the TQT Interface works so I'm sorry if
> these are stupid questions.

The most reliable information is in the code. References and docs are here: https://trinitydesktop.org/apidocs.php

Nik