Re: WAS~~Re: Possible KMAIL bug? NOW:~~ POP / IMAP PROTOCOLS

On Friday 07 June 2024 12:42:50 Thierry de Coulon via tde-users wrote:
> On Friday 07 June 2024 21.37:30 CHRIS M via tde-users wrote:
> (...)
>
> >  people
> > still lost a lot of their emails that they had in the cloud.
> >
> > Do ya'll think its worth it?
>
> I don't trust the cloud. In my backups I trust (although this trust
> sometimes is misplaced...)

Only two words to answer that and similar questions: COLD STORAGE.

I don't trust anything except my own hard drives. Keep everything on them, and
make backups of your most important and valuable files. If you want to backup
on the cloud, or if you trust your email provider, that's okay, but never
trust anybody else with your data.

If you don't own it, then it's not yours. And nowadays, even when you do "own"
it (because you paid for it), you might find out that, due to some fine print
that you never bothered to read, you don't really, legally own it.

So again, cold storage, hard drives you own, which preferably are kept
offline: that's where I put my trust.

Bill