Re: Display configuration troubles

Anno domini 2024 Thu, 6 Jun 18:26:22 -0400
 Felix Miata via tde-users scripsit:
> Thierry de Coulon composed on 2024-06-06 21:51 (UTC+0200):
>
> > I use a Lenovo X390,
>
> What graphics chip(s) in yours?
>
> > MX-Linux 21.3, with one user using xfce (the "original"
> > DE)
>
> What doc(s) establish that? It could depend on how original is defined. If going
> by available official 1.0 release, then it seems clear that it is. If it's defined
> by initial downloadable pre-alpha for looksee, then it's not clear based on the
> looking I did. If defined by project start, then either it or KDE could be the
> title holder. All I've found for project start dates are "late 1996" for both. I
> was quite surprised to learn "original" release of Gnome wasn't until after both,
> in 1999.

As a doc for FVWM it has come a long way :) I had tried it some decade go, but (like windowmaker) it did not stick. That time the "original" CDE was still around and the new clone did not come up to the original. Other WMs of the time like OpenView were way more intriguing. There's a clone more close to the original (based on fvwm) called NsCDE https://github.com/NsCDE/NsCDE - just if you are curious.