Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

On Saturday 01 June 2024 13:28:17 Chris M via tde-users wrote:
> On Saturday 01 June 2024 02:52:35 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > On the subject of extensions, though, practically any Mozilla browser can
> > be hacked to use Firefox extensions, and I use loads of them with
> > Seamonkey ... when I actually use Seamonkey, that is.
> >
> > Bill
>
> Oh wow, I never new that.
>
> What do you do, save the add on to the downloads folder as a .xpi or
> whatever it is Firefox uses, then open up Seamonkey, go to Extentions and
> drag that .xpi file to the Seamonkey extentions window to install it?

Sort of like that, yes. I download the xpi files and save them, then install
manually. There are also some extensions called Nightly Tester Tools and Mr
Tech Toolkit which can help.

However, in the newer browsers, these hidden features (or hackable bugs) are
being disabled or blocked (changing to web extensions) so it's not quite so
easy any more, but some can still be made to work. In any case, most
extensions spy on your browsing habits to some degree, even in private
browsing mode, so it may be better to look for other ways to get what you
want.

It used to be that I could find pages online that showed how to use
about:config to make some extensions work, although I haven't done this in
awhile. In any case, as I said, just because it can be done doesn't
necessarily mean that it's a good idea. Extensions already tend to spy on
your browsing activities, and older extensions, or extensions hacked to force
compatibility, are more susceptible to security issues.

In about:config, for example, users can change settings to force
compatibility. I think it has something to do with "lowest version number" or
some lines like that. There are other setings, but if you really want to do
this, then I would suggest searching for something like
"about:config force compatibility mozilla extensions ?"
or similar, and you ought to find some pages.

Bill