Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

Anno domini 2024 Thu, 30 May 21:52:05 -0500
 Darrell Anderson via tde-users scripsit:
> On 5/20/24 3:14 PM, Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
> > Sounds like a reviewer had issues with a HiDPI laptop.  The article is here
> > but a subscription is needed to view it before May 30th 2024:
> >
> >     https://lwn.net/Articles/973130/
>
> Today the article became available to non subscribers. Please read
> before replying. :)

Did read it - including the comments :)

> Possible helpful points:
>
> "None of the major Linux distributions have an official TDE spin or
> include its packages in their official repositories...."
>
> The Q4OS folks officially support TDE, but Q4OS probably is not
> considered a major distro. Does having a "Tubuntu" spin improve
> credibility? That TDE is not part of official repos does seem to raise
> eyebrows when other "lesser" desktop environments such as MATE, Xfce,
> Cinnamon, Budgie, LXQt, LXDE, and Enlightenment are supported
> officially. Would be nice to see TDE receive more positive support
> upstream, but is being included in official repos important?

IMO there should be an "official" distribution to battle that argument. Exegnulinux would fit the bill. I have my own spin of Ceres + TDE and regularly get bitten by changes in refractrasnapshot that are no fun dealing with (e.g. initrds created from refractasnapshot are broken but fmsmith does not integrate patches). Anyway, might be thing to consider. Also "Dark Theme" - I still use the defalt light one but it looks like it might be time to change that.

> "Though the Trinity web site claims compatibility with newer hardware,
> it had some significant issues with a high-resolution (HiDPI) laptop
> display and external monitors over Thunderbolt connections."
>
> Outside of KDE and GNOME, a lazy web search seems to indicate none of
> the other "lesser" desktop environments provide a Thunderbolt management
> front-end.
>
> "For example, on a 13" laptop display with 2256x1504 resolution, TDE's
> user-interface elements were too small to use comfortably."
>
> A 13" inch display seems small. Maybe not. In today's world where many
> computer users wear eyeglasses, how many people can "comfortably" use a
> 13" inch display at such high resolutions? How do other desktop
> environments or window managers fare in that same environment? High
> resolution support probably is something that should be addressed in
> TDE, but this complaint seems to be a nit pick outside an area of how
> many people use computers.

I use HiDPI and it is no issue to TDE. Problem might be that you need more than 10 seconds to figure that out. A 13" 16:9 display is as tall as a 12" X61 4:3 - and these were considered to be just readable when the devices came to the market (1024x786 pixel). Eyes of humans have not changed since then. Anybody remembers the "Gamboy-magnifying-glasses" you stuck on top the gamboys displays?

> "Trying to use the network settings utility pops up an "unsupported
> platform" warning, and provides a list of supported distributions: the
> most recent of which is from 2015. The backend for the network settings
> is the knetworkconf package, a collection of Perl scripts that are far
> out of date for managing networking on current Linux systems."
>
> Fair enough. Conversely, if the scripts remain functional then should
> they be labeled "far out of date"? Perhaps as long as this specific
> backend exists, a tracking item should exist that the visible
> distributions list is updated before release. At least provide the
> illusion of being current.

The author expose a profund ignorance about hardware. Wired internat works without a htch - that's been for ages ad will as long as no GUI crap interferes. I hate network-manager, but as the time beeing it works as a (inferior) replacement for wicd. That's no different to any other DE.

> "Network configuration is still possible with NetworkManager, but it
> isn't integrated into TDE."
>
> Perhaps the author was unaware of the tdenetworkmanager package. I have
> not used the package and can't vouch for usability. Does the TDE package
> function similarly to the KDE NetworkManager front-end or the GTK
> nmcli-applet?

Maybe it would be a good idea to include "network-manager-tde" as a recommended then?

> "Users have plenty of configuration options for mice, but no trackpad
> options at all."
>
> The lack of a trackpad/touchpad front-end seems a fair point. KDE has an
> extensive configuration module for touchpads, while Xfce has a nominal
> config module. Probably the other "lesser" desktop environments have
> modules too. There is an active feature request (tdebase 481) about
> adding TDE Control Center support features. Is this a critical issue?

I trackpints on my thinkpads. There are only 2 things need to be configured: speed (transformtion matrix - which is quite straight forward). And the scrolling (press MMB + move trackpoint scroll in 2D) for which I did not find a solution. And then there are GTK3 applications that may or may not require LMB pressed to make scrolling happen, which is so GNOMEish ...

> "Konqueror is still a decent file manager, but it doesn't handle modern
> web sites well at all."
>
> Subjective, but Konqueror still rates as one of the finest file
> managers. Using Konqueror as a web browser has been debated for years,
> within KDE circles and back in the KDE 3 days. Konqueror remains part of
> KDE although the underlying web engine has been updated. How well does
> KDE Konqueror handle "modern web sites"?

It works quite fine on simple pages with CSS1 and JS code from < 2010 - that is, it is quite useless nowadays on webpages. But it's rendering engine is used in kmail for HTML mails, too. Maybe it would just be fine to insert firefox as the defaullt in the XDG settings?

> "The Kopete instant-messaging application offers to connect users to
> networks and protocols that are either dead and gone (AIM, Yahoo,
> Windows WinPopup) or well out of mainstream use (Novell GroupWise, Lotus
> Sametime)."
>
> Perhaps the dead and obsolete protocols should be purged from the TDE
> source code.

+1

> "Support for more recent protocols, such as Matrix instant messaging, is
> not to be found."
>
> Matrix is a relatively new kid on the block. The first official release
> was 2019. KDE has an "umbrella" project called neochat. Outside of KDE,
> most if not all of the current Matrix clients seem to be third-party
> rather than desktop natives. Possibly a fine feather in the cap, but
> should TDE developers be expected to provide a Matrix client?

All the "new" messenger services provide a dedicated messenger. All are moving targets (but ICQ, and that will be shut down in some weeks). Where to start, where to stop?

> "The vintage version of Amarok that is included still lists internet
> radio services that are defunct, and it immediately crashes when trying
> to play AAC files."
>
> If true then perhaps the defunct services should be pulled from the
> code. Has anybody confirmed the AAC issue?

I don't have any AAC files. But the internet radio stuff is definitly a papercut "bug". Bat then there are alo corners in the wiki and help files that point to sites long gone (should be replaced by local copies or archive.org) - if somebody finds the time to do so.

> Personal thoughts:
>
> Commenters offered points about interface design and usability
> requirements for why TDE remains a valid option.
>
> Some of the article issues seem reasonable, but mostly I am reminded
> that articles with these kinds of titles are written and published for
> click-bait value. Rather than a muckraking article, this article could
> have been written with a perspective and title of "Trinity Continues the
> KDE 3 Spirit and Design." These types of articles are not what I expect
> from lwn.net.

"shiny KDE6" vs "retro desktop". He does not like it. And he comes from a windows background, where there's no border between desktop and OS.

Nik