Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

On 5/20/24 3:14 PM, Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
Sounds like a reviewer had issues with a HiDPI laptop.  The article is here
but a subscription is needed to view it before May 30th 2024:

    https://lwn.net/Articles/973130/

The discussion is visible in LWN's RSS feed.  Thus far
I see two short threads:

    https://lwn.net/Articles/974365/
    https://lwn.net/Articles/974381/

Maybe TDE devs can add some useful info to the latter thread.

Sometimes LWN subscribers can make the article public before the two-week period expires. Until then we'll have to wait to see what the author actually wrote.

My wild guess is Joe Brockmeier, newly hired at LWN, is the author. Joe has been around free/libre circles for a few decades.

The title of the article, "Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support" is off putting. This is something I inferred in a previous post that because TDE is not "new" or "shiny" that people should disregard all efforts. What I find puzzling is people do not use the same condescending verbiage when referring to MATE -- a fork of GNOME 2, or Xfce, a desktop environment with very slow development cycles. Many people do not use that kind of verbiage when referring to various window managers that have been around since the 1990s. So why the useless jabs at TDE? This type of cynicism has been ongoing since the original KDE 3 fork.

Perhaps the TDE documentation and wiki should be reviewed to minimize any mention of being a fork. Just focus on TDE being its own software?

But this is the way many people think. Not new or shiny -- "Meh."