Re: kmail and keyboard

said Darrell Anderson via tde-users:

| I much dislike webmail too. I have not tried to use the Proton bridge.
|
| I think I would first log into the webmail interface. Verify only single
| instances of the mails exist. Then use kmail to download through the
| bridge.

I have here and sometimes use because it is quick and efficient (and for
diagnostic uses such as you describe) ElectronMail, an electron-based
webapp that recreated the ProtonMail web interface. (And also gives
app-level access to such as Proton Drive, Calendar, VPN, and Pass.)

So I have long known that the doubling occurs somewhere between there and
KMail. The first issue I encountered, and this was after I'd used the
bridge for some time, was that messages read on KMail were not always
marked as read at Proton. I *suspect* that if I were to tell KMail not to
leave the messages on the server the problem would go away. But I use
ProtonMail on several devices, using the native ProtonMail app on all but
this machine, where I try to keep a mail archive. The doubling thing is
relatively -- last couple of years -- new. I kind of figured that Proton
would eventually fix it, but maybe I need to make more noise.

(I live where the phone company, the reprehensible Frontier Communications,
has the internet go down one or more times each day. This created a real
problem with Proton VPN, because it wouldn't come back up unless you did
this:

[code]
nmcli connection show --active
nmcli connection delete [pvpn conn.]
[/code]

It would have been trivial for them to put this in the code, to look for
that connection and if it existed and delete it, as part of starting up
their VPN app. But it took literally years of whining about it before they
fixed it. I even made a little script that did it before calling the
Proton VPN application.)

| Another option is temporarily use another mail client such as
| Thunderbird, or perhaps something console based like pine, mailx, or
| mutt. Possibly a less tasteful experiment is install a full KDE 5 in a
| VM along with KMail. The goal is to see whether the same problems occur
| with the Proton bridge. If the same thing happens then sounds like the
| bridge might be faulty or misconfigured.

In the course of this note I realized that I have ProtonMail addresses that
I could set to *not* leave mail on the server, with no inconvenience. I
think I'll give that a shot.

Here is one of the ghost messages, received a little while ago. (It seems
that of the doubled messages, the only ones from the list today that were
doubled were yours, and not all of those.)