Re: TDE's Backstory and purpose

Darrell Anderson via tde-users wrote:

> Another reason for the black sheep label is living in /opt purgatory.
> TDE is not easily installed into the common /usr directory because of
> potential conflict with KDE. The MATE folks resolved that problem nicely
> by renaming all of their binaries with a "mate-" prefix. I think TDE
> could do likewise with a tde- prefix. Installing TDE in /opt creates
> various issues and the complexity of the starttde shell script attests
> to the hoops to jump through to avoid conflict.

one thing we need in TDE is to develop nice dbus wrapper (like the one that
is used in KDE 5). This way we could integrate easily with other
applications that are using dbus and take advantage of the system.

For the rest I am also completely on your side. Back in the days I was
looking for an OS that works without crashing (like it was Windows) and for
a desktop that just works. I hate it when I start the PC and instead of
accomplishing the task I had in mind, I had to fix this or that, because it
was working yesterday and no today. Also the mentioned attitude of KDE 4
developers - it is FOS, so if it works it works, otherwise it may work
again at some indefinite point of time in the future ...

There are some issues with TDE on laptops (networking etc). There is missing
SIM card support. Clearly because those things are too modern and TDE is
laking the manpower to develop new applications. But on the PC as you
mentioned it is tiny and shiny. You start it, you do your work and it does
never let you down. This has been my life for the past 15+ years - first
with KDE3 and later with TDE.

I am just wondering how many people worldwide are using TDE.