Re: TDE's Backstory and purpose

On Sunday 19 of May 2024 05:13:28 J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote:
> On 2024-05-18 15:46:40 Dan Youngquist via tde-users wrote:
> > >
> > > The reason that I asked this question yesterday, is because, I LOVED
> > > KDE 3, but i'm scared to run TDE.
> >
> > Your post yesterday never made it to me, and I can't find it in the
> > archive.
> >
> > You must not have been watching during the switch from KDE3 to KDE4.
> > KDE4 was a complete disaster in almost every way.  Real slick
> > eye-candy looking, but most of what worked and was stable was less
> > functional than KDE3 and ate up a lot more resources.  And as someone
> > else mentioned, the KDE people and sycophants were extremely defensive
> > and aggressively insulting toward anyone who had the audacity to
> > mention any imperfections.  They took a perfectly good, fast,
> > low-resource DE that made it easy to get work done, and completely
> > destroyed most of what made it good.  Several distros hung onto KDE3
> > for as long as they could, at least as an option, rather than switch
> > to KDE4.  Thank goodness someone forked it and the TDE project
> > continues.  TDE is not much heavier on resources than most
> > "lightweight" DE's, but is way more functional.
>
> 	KDE3 is still actively supported on openSUSE.
>
> Leslie

The question is what "actively supported" means. For example, for kdeslibs
in the last year and a half, build compatibility with newer OpenSSL 3.x
and with autoconf 2.72 has been addressed. That's all. In the previous two
years, some TDE patches was backported. I would define it as maintaining
in a very frozen state. Sure, the packages are built, so it can be
installed. But is it possible to call it "actively supported"?

Cheers
Slávek