Re: TDE's Backstory and purpose

On 5/18/24 1:06 PM, Chris M via tde-users wrote:
> On Fri, 2024-05-17 at 11:19 -0500, Chris M wrote:
>> I am curious to know what's the backstory on TDE?
>> Why is KDE 3.5 being kept alive all of these years later?
>> And what is TDE's Purpose?
>
> The reason that I asked this question yesterday, is because, I LOVED KDE 3,
> but i'm scared to run TDE.

Your post yesterday never made it to me, and I can't find it in the archive.

You must not have been watching during the switch from KDE3 to KDE4.  KDE4
was a complete disaster in almost every way.  Real slick eye-candy looking,
but most of what worked and was stable was less functional than KDE3 and ate
up a lot more resources.  And as someone else mentioned, the KDE people and
sycophants were extremely defensive and aggressively insulting toward anyone
who had the audacity to mention any imperfections.  They took a perfectly
good, fast, low-resource DE that made it easy to get work done, and
completely destroyed most of what made it good.  Several distros hung onto
KDE3 for as long as they could, at least as an option, rather than switch to
KDE4.  Thank goodness someone forked it and the TDE project continues.  TDE
is not much heavier on resources than most "lightweight" DE's, but is way
more functional.

--
For PGP key, search on the PGP Global Directory.