Re: TDE's Backstory and purpose

On Saturday 18 May 2024 13:46:40 Dan Youngquist via tde-users wrote:

> > On Fri, 2024-05-17 at 11:19 -0500, Chris M wrote:
> >> I am curious to know what's the backstory on TDE?

> Thank goodness someone forked it and the TDE project
> continues.  TDE is not much heavier on resources than most "lightweight"
> DE's, but is way more functional.

I can only echo what everybody else has already said. The only serious flaw
that anybody has mentioned conerns using Konqueror as a web browser: I don't
recommend doing that, as it is *way* out-of-date; although I seem to recall
Slavek saying that he uses it ... and he ought to know. But if I were to make
any negative recommendations, that would probably the only one: to remove web
browsing from Konqueror. Otherwise, best file manager ever!

If anything, I regard TDE as more secure than other DEs, simply because I can
actually find whatever I need to know, and find it easily, so that I know
almost immediately if there is some problem, or if I have a security breach.
In other desktops, KDE4/5, Gnome, etc., I have to go through so many steps to
get that information, and it gets very tiring. Maybe that's part of the plan?
so that people just give up and stop thinking about these matters.)

In TDE, I have everything set up as I feel that it works best for me, in my
own life, not as somebody out there has decided. If I want to know what's
happening with any aspect of my system, I usually can find out with only a
few steps. And after I have done it once or twice, I can create for myself
some way of simplifying that task.

Best thing about TDE is that I don't have to keep reinventing the wheel, over
and over and over again. My desktop now looks essentially the same (with a
few minor adjustments) as it did when I started running KDE3 back in 2006 or
so. Everything works pretty much the same now as it did then, except of
course for what I have added, what new tricks I have learned, and which have
been incorporated into how I run my machines.

TDE helps to keep me sane.

Bill