Re: kate question ... results of experiment #2

On Tuesday 14 May 2024 23:38:09 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> Anno domini 2024 Tue, 14 May 15:43:17 -0700
>
>  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> > Within kate's gui, I got rid of all the icons on the lower toolbar, only
> > that menu bar remains, and probably cannot be made to disappear.
> >
> > See attachment.
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> is this permanent, e.g. does it survive restarting kate?
>
> > Bill

It is permanent, yes, except that I can't seem to get rid of that sidebar. But
somewhere I saw something about making the sidebar go away, too. Look in
Window > Tool Views > Hide Sidebars or just alt-ctrl-shift-F to get rid of
them. I think there must be a way to make the sidebar go away permanently, as
well.

There is yet another possible way to get rid of even the menubar, but that
would mean going into the window settings, and I have found that trying to
apply it to a specific application gives very mixed results. Sometimes you
will find those same changes applied to other application windows, where you
did not want them.

If you are brave or foolhardy, however, then right-click at the top of kate's
window, in the title border, Advanced > Special Application Settings > Window
Extra. It seems that it is possible to configure even those borders and
toolbars to go away, but good luck getting them back. I like to do a lot of
special window configurations, to make applications open in specific
desktops, for example, or to use workarounds like focus stealing prevention,
but I haven't had much luck using those settings to suppress part of a
window's appearance. I doubt that's possible, at least not without messing up
other applications.

In any case, except for the sidebar, that's how it looks for me when I open,
the click to start a new session.

Bill