Re: Mastodon servers - dig this! [OT]

On Wednesday 08 May 2024 23:49:29 J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote:
> On 2024-05-08 12:28:13 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > It is odd that people have some idea that Mastodon is more private, but
> > if all your information is out there where everybody can see it, then
> > it's not really private, and somebody out there will be tracking it. The
> > same with E.Liddell's suggestion about setting up one's own instance. It
> > doesn't help, unless we can be truly anonymous.
>
> 	But privacy is not the problem that Mastodon and other Federation software
> intend to solve; they are trying to provide "social" internet services that
> do not lock the user to a particular platform.
>
> Leslie

Yes, I can see the point, but for me it's not happening. Maybe other people
don't care so much, and that's fine for them.

For myself, I have had a few very upleasant incidents that were the result of
somebody tracking me online, and once, back when I ran Windoze, where I had
somebody get into my machine, was sending me threatening messages, got into
my accounts, changed user names and passwords.

On that occasion, I was lucky to be able to be able, with the help of a
friend, to be able to indentify the person and threaten police involvement,
and now I am think probably I ought to have gone through with it, rather than
letting the nut get away with it.

But anyway, that's myself and my own life. I wish to keep my private life
private, as much as possible. Also, I am getting too old to care about all
these bright and shiny new toys. I am not so involved in that world; I only
use these machines when they can actually help me.

Bill